Quartz Extreme and iBOOK = OLD

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by GeorgeC97, May 6, 2002.

1. GeorgeC97 macrumors newbie

I don't understand...

it seems like Apple is going to alienate everyone who just bought an ibook in the last year ! sales were huge for the ibook, and now with the announcement of Quartz Extreme... basically it leaves everyone in the dust !

Unless apple is planning to release a new G4 iBook with 32 MB video card next week along with the servers... I don't know -- seems like I am left with no choice but to either wait MONTHS until this happens or dish out the extra $1000 for a Tibook!? Does apple want a huge CHUNK of it's consumer market to have ibooks that can't really take advantage of all this new software? (granted we dont' need the fastest and latest hardware, but still... something that will be snappy and last a few years !)

I really want an ibook b/c of size and price, but I don't want a machine that won't fit the bill for apple's future plans with OS X 10.2 and video acceleration/Quartz Extreme.

this is unfortunate.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

shutup. extreme isnt geared towards iBook users, its geared towards tower users and Powerbook users. you aren't "obsolete" you just dont have the best of the best. thats the way it works, stop your bitching. its not a fourth as bad as the peecee world. i dont see anyone crying because they cant get FSAA at 1024x768 at 60fps in Q3 on their iBook, so dont complain about not getting something obviously designed for the high end.

btw the iBook is my computer. i dont feel alienated.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hello, Dillweed? All TiBooks aren't supported, and most PowerMacs require a video card uprade.
    :rolleyes:

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That was nice. And I imagine we'll see even more of it when someone gets to post "I just got my new G5 and Quartz Extreme is amazing!"

I think I'lll start gathering some rocks for the stoning.....

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I feel bad for harping on this, but I think it's a bad move for Apple.

Maybe I'm going off half-cocked about this since we don't have all the info yet, but from what's on the Jaguar webpage I don't think I'm very far off.

7. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Lest think about it for a second. Quartz wasn't relaly designed for this, but apple came up witha way to run it through open GL. This takes some power to do it. I actually totally believe steve when he says that it just won't work on the older video cards (at least, it won't work well, whihc is kind of the point isn't it. If it works slowly, you might as well keep it as it is).

Also, just because you can't use quartz extreme doesn't mean you can't use the OS.

Its simlar to altivec. When the G4's came out and some stuff was made to take advantage of the G4, that didn't make the G3's obsolete or useless. It just meant that the power of the G4 was being exploited. Should apple have not come out with iDVD just because it wasn't practical on a G3 system. No, of course not. They came out with something to leverage the power of some systems, thats exactly what they are doing here. people need to chill out. if apple hasn't done this, you wouldn't have known the difference because things would be carrying on exactly as they were, whcih is exactly what you're going to be dealing with anyway, so whats the problem.

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

exactly. its not a bad move. if they didn't do this then they would be alienating the high end owners, not the other way around.

9. Macpoops macrumors 6502

With Regards to Rev. B Tibooks Quartz Extreme will fly. Just not optimumly. Check out the Jaguar Preview on apple's website if you don't believe me. it says :

*nVidia: GeForce2MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti, GeForce4 or GeForce4MX. ATI: any AGP Radeon card. 32MB VRAM recommended for optimum performance.

Last time i checked the Rev. Bs they had a ATI Radeon mobility with 16megs of DDR VRAM

Just cause it doesn't run at it's full potential doesn't at all mean it's going to not run at all. Hell it's still faster then what we got now. Am I right

10. GeorgeC97 thread starter macrumors newbie

strider42 wrote:
    "Its simlar to altivec. When the G4's came out and some stuff was made to take advantage of the G4, that didn't make the G3's obsolete or useless. It just meant that the power of the G4 was being exploited."

Well, with the 'death' of OS 9 and the imac and the emac, apple has repeatedly shown that they are moving (moved?) towards an operating system made strictly to utilize the powers of a G4/altivec. SURE, I can run OS X on a G3...and it will work, but more and more and more apps are being made with altivec in mind, and that just puts the G3 more and more behind.

C'mon, w/ Altivec and now Jaguar.... if someone buys a G3, what is it's longevity? it's been around for 5 years already. most new programs will take advantage of altivec/g4.... where does this put the consumer one or 2 years from now?

all I am saying is that apple's plans in the next year(s) doesn't seem to be suitable for someone with an ibook -- no matter how cool it looks.

I know the consumer market doesn't need the best and the fastest, but at least something that will last for a long time and is not built on rather old hardware. The consumer market also sees that for the same price, they can get soo much more with a PC. Pro users buy the newest revision... consumers usually keep their computers for a while... or at least most of the people I know.

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

True that only the rev c TiBook has the 32MB of DDR memory for video, but the 16MB on the rev b should provide enough to make 10.2 function at the same speed as 10.1.x, if not a little faster. I have a feeling that any video cards that are not in the Radeon class, will not see the same performance boost that those that fall into the "recommended for optimum performance" list will. It should still function, just not as fast (just as a G3 beige CAN run OS X, just not as well as a G4 does).

I know of many people that pick up the tower systems because they CAN upgrade the video card (easily at that), and don't have to worry about falling behind in that area. If you really are that concerned about the video of the iBook not working at full speed with 10.2, then wait until MWNY and see what is released. In the meantime, save as much as you can, and use that to get the TiBook if it matters that much to you.

I gather from the fact that you are looking at a G3 processor, that you don't intend to use the iBook for any Photoshop or video editing work. If you do, then that is not an optimal system to begin with, and you will be b*tching about it's lack of performance long before 10.2 is released.

I never purchased a computer based on speculation about the requirements of an operating system and if it will be blazing fast or not. There are too many other things to consider when you are making your decision on a system.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I guess that you completely ignored the spec's of the eMac. It HAS a G4 processor inside of it. OS 9 isn't dead yet, nor are the iMac's. Not all applications run on OS X natively (yet), so until that happens, OS 9.x will be here.

Processor and memory
    700MHz PowerPC G4 processor with Velocity Engine
    256K on-chip level 2 cache at full processor speed
    100MHz system bus
    128MB SDRAM; two 168-pin DIMM slots support up to 1GB using 128MB, 256MB, or 512MB DIMMs

Try to not make statements about things being dead, or about what processor they have, unless you are very sure about your info.

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Thanks for the correction, I meant to say "all but the latest" Tibooks...

Speaking of which, I bet you're even happier now with your upgrade.
    I'm going to have to seriously find a way to upgrade...somehow...

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Oh hell yeah... I at least waited for a revision between what I had and have now. :D. When I first caught the PowerBook bug, I upgraded at each revision. I held back this time, since I wanted to see when they would go with a better video card (Mobile Radeon 7500 gpu is sweeeeeet).

15. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

How dare Apple release software that encourages people to spend more money on their hardware! What kind of game are they playing anyway?

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Ummmm, I believe that m$ has been doing that long before Apple even considered it. AND they have been charging way more per OS then Apple has yet to. An update (if you can call it that) for windblows costs more the OS 9 did, if you never purchased it before, lost your update coupons, and wanted the FULL retail version. From m$, expect to shell out between $200 and $400 for that.

m$ also makes it so that even though they state that any system built after this date will run that OS, chances are, it won't (at least fairly stable). m$ blows, Apple rocks :D

17. j763 macrumors 6502a

The iBook's got an ATI card with AGP support. Sure, it's only 8MB and recommended is 32MB, but it'll still do Quartz Extreme OK... right? or is it going to be necessary to get some sort of hardware upgrade??

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

ROTFLMAO!!!

Yeah, it's called getting something with better/newer hardware. Laptops are NOT known for their hardware upgrade capability. If you wanted that in a system, you should have purchased a tower instead.

We make sacrifices for portability, BUT if you need power as well, then Apple has the laptop for you.. it's called the PowerBook G4 (not the iBook or iBooger as I call the clamshell models).

19. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

lighten up!
    i think he was joking dude

20. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

excuse me, what is 'Quartz Extreme'? i've been living under an 800MHz TiBook these last few days.

AlphaTech, didn't you have a 60 or 70GB IBM hard drive in your old TiBook? are you going to put it into your 800?

21. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

[/sarcasm]

for those who didn't seem to get it first time around ;)

22. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

23. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

ok folks so they say G4 and 32 MB of video, so what. thats just for now. those are apples bare minimums. im going to be a powermac user and I wouldnt get anything short of the Ti 128MB card for cases like this.

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Those are NOT the minimum's, they are "recommended for optimum performance". Where do you see required or minimum in that line???

25. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

ok fien those are the minimum requirements for optimum performance. are you telling me that OSX.2 will not run better with a Ti card?

tyler