Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'm in the dark here.

I have a iBook500 Combo. Will 10.2 run on my iBook at least as fast as it does now (10.1.4)? This is what I want to know.

I hope that I can utilise 10.2 and that 10.1.4 won't be the last update that I go thru.

Any experts out there to answer this one?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
cb911, I do have the 60GB IBM Travelstar drive that I pulled from my Rev. A TiBook. I installed it when I got home on Friday, but upon booting into OS X, I got a kernal panic. After a few of those, I put the 40GB drive that shipped with it back in. Once I did that, the panic went away. I'm thinking about putting the drive in again, and booting up with the OS X install cd that came with the new TiBook. Maybe that will make it work correctly, and not panic. I would like to do that, since I have email on the old drive that I would like to access again. I believe that I have succeeded in pulling my latest AIM buddy list back into Fire, but will have to check that tonight (from home). If I can get the old email back, I will keep the 40GB drive inside the new TiBook and make the 60GB drive external (firewire). I will probably get the enclosure before the end of next week, and have a total of 170GB inside and outside of the laptop. :D

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: I'm in the dark here.

Originally posted by ftaok
I have a iBook500 Combo. Will 10.2 run on my iBook at least as fast as it does now (10.1.4)? This is what I want to know.

I hope that I can utilise 10.2 and that 10.1.4 won't be the last update that I go thru.

Any experts out there to answer this one?

10.2 should run just fine on your machine, at least as good as 10.1.4 does today because nothing will relaly change as far as you are concerned. The quartz extreme thing just leverages the power of the newere graphics card, no where does it say that the older machines can't run the OS, just quartz extreme. The original version of quartz should be there for you. I would anticipate that your machine should be able to run every OS update for at least the next couple of years.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Re: I'm in the dark here.

Originally posted by strider42

10.2 should run just fine on your machine, at least as good as 10.1.4 does today because nothing will relaly change as far as you are concerned. The quartz extreme thing just leverages the power of the newere graphics card, no where does it say that the older machines can't run the OS, just quartz extreme. The original version of quartz should be there for you. I would anticipate that your machine should be able to run every OS update for at least the next couple of years.

Well put... Apple has a habbit, and history, of having systems support the current OS on old systems. Just one example is the fact that you can install OS 9 onto a 7100/66 system. Granted, it won't be nearly as fast as newer computers, but it runs and is usable.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Alpha im surprised you even got that far. Changing motherboards/components/WHOLECOMPUTERS on a hard drive containing an OS usually just corrupts the whole thing. You have to remember that your OS runs on a microkernel, which basically only loads the resources you need for your particular machine.

So yes, you will need to reinstall.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
sparkleytone, I was kind of hoping that it would work well enough to allow me to keep my email and such. I did back everything up first, so I have it stored. I will most likely just slip the 60GB drive into a slim FireWire enclosure and use it that way. The 40GB drive that came with the TiBook is pretty speedy (even though it is only 4200 rpm), so I will most likely leave it installed.

All I really need to do now, is pull my email over from the backup and get it to work. I thought I had done that before, when I installed the new drive.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by jefhatfield
alpha, you are getting close to 1500, so congrats on that one!

Thanks, I am inching my way up to that mark... I just noticed that we are 100 posts apart... cool :D

I am trying to come up with a new avatar for when I breach the 1500 mark, but I don't know how long after that I will have it ready for posting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.