Quartz Extreme and Original Radeon Mac AGP

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mrzippy, Apr 24, 2003.

1. mrzippy macrumors 6502

I've just purchased a 2nd hand G4 400 sawtooth to play with, as I'm looking to change from PC to Mac in the near future.

Anyway I want to be able to have Quartz Exreme graphics, which the standard ATI Rage card does not support. Apple say any Radeon graphics card supports Quartz Extreme.

Can anyone comment if the 2D Quartz Extreme performance on the Oringinal Radeon Mac AGP is any good ie. window redraws and scrolling?

The reason I ask is that I can pick up a Radeon Mac Edition for UK£25 - whereas a Radeon 8500 Mac is UK£150, which is a big difference.

I'm not interested in 3D game performance.

Thanks for any comments for this mac newbie.

Neil

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Re: Quartz Extreme and Original Radeon Mac AGP

Congrats Neil with your new toy!
    I've had the pleasure to be able to play with a G4 400 (AGP) with the original Rage 128, Radeon Mac Edition (32 MB VRAM, the one you're talking about), and the Radeon 8500.
    The BIGGEST difference noticed was the "upgrade" from Rage 128 to Radeon (32 MB version).
    Going from the Radeon to Radeon 8500 was hardly noticable in 2D Quatrz grfx. Ofcourse the Radeon 8500 did perform better in games, but as you stated that's not the issue.
    So, if I were you, I'll get the much cheaper Radeon (32 MB) AGP card, and not bother with the 8500.
    And, oh yes, the Radeon is really ALOT better than the Rage..... especially for the 25 quid.
    Have fun!