Quartz Extreme Demo Movie

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by blakespot, May 21, 2002.

1. Administrator

blakespot

User has just written in with news of a Quartz Extreme demo movie over at MacNytt (German site)[/url]. Interesting footage -- have a look.

submitted by Nastarovja

2. macrumors newbie

link dead

Link seems to be dead... server not found...

"Connection with the server cannot be established"

Ill check back in a few.

3. macrumors newbie

I wonder how they recorded this from the monitor without those moving stripes that usually appear....

4. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

If someone gets it link it here. The link is 404.
    What is it of, and how does it look?

The link on Blakespots post works, but the link on the main page doesn't.

5. macrumors newbie

Truly impressive

I have to admitt, truely impressive. If this was done with a dual G4 450 and a Gforce 2MX, really something. Gimme Quarz Extreme !!!

By the way, here the link I got it from:
    http://www.macnytt.com/files/files/QuartzExtremeTestriktigfil.mov

6. thread starter Administrator

blakespot

Link works for me. ?

blakespot

7. macrumors newbie

zoom

wow.. now i can watch dvd's at the microscopic level! Sweet. Could come in handy while reviewing future iWalk hoaxes... ;)

8. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

looks good. i have a dual 8 with gf 2 mx... so this is good to see how well it does on a lesser machine with the same card... nice

9. macrumors 68030

mischief

Hawp! sawmahn gaome ah tangdepwethah!

So I can tuck my tongue back in.....

Pardon the drool.....:p :cool: :eek: :D

10. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

QE on the iBook. Ok, well, I can't do that. I just cannot believe that it is not running at all on this machine. If not, then the core improvements to X.2 are amazing. I will make a vid of what I can do, and then post it.

11. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Holy Mother of .........

Okay, now I'm really looking forward to getting a new PowerMac! :eek:

The wait's getting harder and harder to endure. :D

12. macrumors 68020

barkmonster

from my perspective, it's faster than OS 9!

I've only got a 300Mhz Beige G3 with the 6Mb Ati RageII+ so I know how much faster any mac is going to be than mine, this only a 450Mhz G4 and under X it looks around 4 times faster than OS 9 runs on mine right now. With the entry level G4 more than likely being at 1Ghz or above by the time I can afford to buy a new mac (Next year probably at this rate) I'll not only be blown away by the speed of the Mac itself, The whole "OS X is slow, boo hoo" stuff I keep reading from people is going to be so far gone it won't even be an issue. Also I won't even care how fast OS 9 runs on a newer model, with Protools X around the corner I think the last thing I'll ever see of OS 9 is when I sell my current model to put some cash towards the new one.

It's amazingly fast, if it can do something as complex as that so smoothly, I think the general day to day windowing in OS X is going to be snappy as hell.

13. macrumors regular

:eek:

Bloody Hell.
    I wouldn't mind getting a prescription of whatever that guy's computer's on.

14. macrumors newbie

Wow...

...I'm feeling much more secure about keeping my dual 533 G4 with a GeForce 2MX card at least another year with that kind of performance. Nice. :)

15. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Now that was impressive. The zooming in of the DVD movie, and the collapsing and launching, its going to be nice. I think I'll be upgrading my G4 450, though. Don't think it will be able to do it justice. But I'd also like to see how a 3D modeling/animation software package ran on it, since the Graphics card would then be doing double duty.

16. macrumors regular

Is this really a big deal?

I remember years ago I had a RasterOps monitor that did pretty much the same kind of on-the-fly screen magnification. I'm not a tecchie so I'm assuming there's something here that I am missing...

17. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

damnit!!

I can't get through...

I guess everyone else in the world is accessing it as well... :(

18. macrumors member

well...

that was rather impressive. question: will quartz extreme work on the orginal powerbook g4?

19. macrumors newbie

Re: zoom

I think it will also be very popular with other kinds of movies...

20. macrumors regular

Looks like the site is down.

21. thread starter Administrator

blakespot

Take two and call me in the morning.

blakespot

22. macrumors newbie

23. macrumors newbie

24. macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: Is this really a big deal?

There's potentially a lot more you could do if the zooming was done in the OS as opposed to being a function of the monitor. The movie doesn't really do a good job of showing it, but what I want to see is whether your fonts stay smooth when you zoom in, for instance. Can Adobe release a patch for Illustrator that keeps my curves smooth when I zoom in with QE?

The thing that really struck me about the zooming is that it makes one hell of an accessibility feature. If I had vision problems and that kind of zoom was an option, I can't even imagine using anything else, and what's more, third-party developers wouldn't even have to be aware of it for the most part.

Unless this video proves to be bogus, I may have to take back everything I've ever said about the practicality of OpenGL-accelerated raster video.

25. macrumors regular

This video is impressive but what I would like to see is some everyday work stuff. Maybe a demo of someone using Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Flash with the mail app open and a browser.

I know that from what I've read and heard Jaguar is going to rock. I am excited for it. I find 10.1.4 usable at this point and use it everyday for work, so if Jaguar speeds it up all the merrier.:D