Quartz Extreme not working?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by AppleMatt, May 20, 2003.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Hi all,

This has been bothering me for a few days, and a comment in another post prompted me to post this and get your thoughts...

I've got a 12" PowerBook, and although extreme check saying the display is accelerated, I don't think quartz extreme is working correctly, the reasons being...

- When I run the mouse over the dock, CPU usage shoots up to 100%
    - I cannot use the dock, minimise windows etc without movies/DVD's stuttering.
    - iTunes visual stutter when doing anything else, especially when the options dialogue box is up.
    - You get the idea.

Any thoughts, people experiencing the same?

AppleMatt

2. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I havent experienced any of these problems. Have you called Apple?

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

That sure doesn't sound normal. I just got a 12" PowerBook a few days ago and it's running really nice, feels similar to my 733 PowerMac. And I'm still using the stock 256mb of RAM. Perhaps your drive is heavily fragmented? Try fixing permissions. If that doesn't work, try a complete defrag by backing up your Home folders and data and then wiping the drive and re-zeroing it. That's about all I can think of.

4. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

QE isnt Perfect yet. as of now, only some of the things are linked to the graphics card, such as anything with windows. I know for a fact the dock is still CPU bound. Maybe Panther will adress these?

5. danman macrumors member

Easy way to tell if QE is active

Is there a shadow under your mouse pointer?

This is only present if QE is running. If there is the shadow, then you have some other problem.

Try a complete re-install, and if that don't fix it.. send the baby back.

Dan.

6. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Re: Easy way to tell if QE is active

1.) see above Post
    2.) Im sure its not a Defect, Both my Powermac and Powerbook G3 would CPU spike when it hovered over the dock. I hadly think a return would be appropriate.

7. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

OK So I've completely re-installed, updated and fixed permissions, and exactly the same problem, if it is a real issue.

So does everyone else have exactly the same things then, ie does everyones movies stutter when minimising etc.

Thanks for the help so far,

AppleMatt

8. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Movies studder even on my Great Dual 867. As I said before, It may be coming, its just not here yet, i consulted 2 other friends, they also find the dock CPU bound.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah this is normal. even my dual 125 sky rockets when i go over the dock. i have found quartz extremem for the most part to be pretty pointless. probably has potentialbut other than that nothing has truly shocked me.

iJon

10. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

Want to see QE at work?

Open 3 or 4 terminal windows and set each to have a partially transparent background.

Start a Quicktime movie up and then drag all of the terminals on front of it so that you are watching it "through" the terminal windows. The CPU usage with QE should not be any higher than if the movie window was in front. It will be higher with QE turned off since the GPU won't be doing all of the transparency work any more.

11. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

as to the dock thing - turn off magnification and auto-hide. this should help a bit.

it is still pretty pathetic though that a simple mouse-over zaps the proc like that...

12. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Ahh, that's OK then, it's not just me!

Hopefully Apple will stick a "new, improved" QE into Panther for us.

AppleMatt

13. MacKid macrumors 6502

Actually. . .

I've been having some in-between Quartz Extreme problems. DVD's play fine, QuickTime plays perfectly in the dock, holding shift while minimizing has never been more beautiful!

However, DVD's won't play in the dock (the Quartz Extreme feature I was most looking forward to :mad: :( ), iTunes stutters a bit when doing anything else graphics related (although I guess when you minimize something in front of it, that happens to any computer. . .), and the Menu Bar/Dock Menus aren't transparent when over a DVD or iTunes. . . FREAKY!:confused: :confused: :confused:

14. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

This is just commentary but I was wondering what everyone was thinkign about how they'll market Quartz in Panther considering it gets another major tweak like in Panther. I mean, first there was "Quartz" then "Quartz Extreme" what's next? "Super Quartz"? Seems cheesy. Though I'm sure the same marketing group was what came up with Airport Extreme.

15. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

Actually the name extreme fits perfect if you think about it. Both Quartz Extreme and the Airport Extreme were industry firsts and very far out compared to anything, they were extreme :eek: .

It will be nice when QE handles everything on the screen your graphics card can take so the UI feels much faster. I wish apple would do something about live resizing... It is really painful right now even on a 1ghz iMac. :(

16. ozubahn macrumors regular

I'm not convinced that all is well with your machine. I just did some (unscientific) tests on my first generation PowerBook G4. It is only 500MHz and has no support for QE. Nevertheless, I am running "top" in a semitransparent terminal window layered above a playing quicktime movie, and I can wiggle my mouse cursor around over the dock, which magnifies smoothly. The total CPU usage is 60-90% while I am moving the mouse, with Window Manager taking most of it, but everything works. The movie doesn't skip, and the dock is smooth. Something is not right with your machine. I wonder if there are cases where QE is actually a liability...

17. archaism macrumors newbie

New Quartz name

My guess is that they'll call it QE2 and allow you to book cruises on it. :D

18. Flickta macrumors 6502

Quartz Extreme II

19. .a macrumors regular

is there a way to turn quartz extreme on and off?
    .a

20. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Download "QuartzExtreme.dmg" from here.

21. .a macrumors regular

thanks! looks like my videocard is not very powerful...
    .a

22. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

My iMac has the exact same problem. I'm going to try to use "QuartzExtreme.dmg" to try and reset QE to fix it, but I doubt it will work since a reinstal didn't help.

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The Quartz Extreme app is not meant to be system repair/modification tool. It has been used by Apple as a demo tool, to show the differences in CPU usage with QE on and off.

I really doubt it will "fix" anything.

24. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Yeah I never thought that it would fix anything. I just wanted to see if turning it off and on would do anything for it.

Just a little hope...

A guy can dream can't he?

25. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Of course. ;)

I just wanted to make sure that no-one got confused about the purpose of the app.