Quartz question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Soulstorm, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I went into my quartz debug application and saw that there are 2 options for quartz:

Enable Quartz extreme and Enable Quartz 2D Extreme.

1)What's the difference between both?
    2)I thought they were disabled in Tiger. Or only quartz 2D extreme, or...? :confused:
    3)If I enable them, will I see any difference? Or the system will shut them down by default because I am not supposed to touch them...? :confused:

2. howesey macrumors 6502a

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not quite true. They way it is meant to work is that the App does not even know if it's turned on. It draws via normal Quartz calls and then get drawn on the GPU if appropriate. The reason it is not turned on is that it tends to not work properly at the moment (screen corruption, random crashes...)

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Basically Quartz 2D Extreme draws the contents of windows on the graphics card, and Quartz Extreme combines the image of each window into the image for the screen on the graphics card (including handling stuff like transparent windows and window shadows). Quartz Extreme has been around since 10.2. Quartz 2D Extreme is new in 10.4, and has been known to cause kernel panics and display glitches, so it's disabled. Q2DX also has rather steep hardware requirements; it relies on some very fancy graphics card features.