QuartzComposer rocks!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Coheebuzz, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

Hey guys, i installed Developers Tools a couple of hours ago so i could get my hands on QuartzComposer (don't know any coding :rolleyes: ) and i was surprised how easy it was! So i started playing with the particle generators and after a while i had made a couple of screensavers. And i got so excited for making my first software for osx thought i'd share :eek: :) Enjoy!
    Well, not exactly software but lets see a windows user with no coding skills pull this off! HA! :cool:

Also, does anyone know if i can make an options panel for the screensavers within QC or do i have to use the Screensaver SDK from Apple to do that?

Attached Files:

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yeah, Quartz Composer is pretty cool software. In my opinion, it needs a lot more added to it to be great, but it's a nice start. AFAIK, you have to make an Xcode project for QC screen saver option panels, but I'm not positive about that. Using QC within a Cocoa project is quite easy, although I've found the performance of moving medium to large data sets (perhaps over 1,000 elements) into the QC view through the QC "Structure" architecture can really bog the CPU down.

3. Coheebuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i wish i could grab the audio info from iTunes instead only from the line-in. I remember OS9 was able to do this, why can't X?? Anyway i've been digging around dev tools even more and it looks very very interesting, although as i said i know nothing about high level programming, except from scripting in Lingo/Actionscript which i could only wish it was that easy :rolleyes:.
    Also, its a diff topic, but I've seen a book called "Programming in Objective-C" by Stephen Kochan that is supposedly great for starters and its Mac oriented. Anyone has this book or like to recommend one?

4. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

Thanks for those, they are pretty sweet! I now have a new screensaver ;)