questin about customs fee

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tbluhp, Jan 11, 2007.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

I got this email from someone I bought a package from in Hong Kong and they said I pay for it before it delivers, when I pay for it how like can a check be used. Also were do I go to pay for it? The service they used was ems speedpost.

Hello,

We have call EMS to deliver your package today but they said
    you will have to pay for custom and clearance fee which is $400, So you
    will have to pay the money today so that your package can be deliver
    today. Thanks.

Also why do I pay it and not the seller in Hong Kong? Can I give a check instead of cash?

2. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

You'll need to give a few more details. Is this item bought on ebay or what. Also what country are you in. In Australia for example any item under $500 can be posted with no duty payable. For items more than that if it has to go through customs then you will have to pay a fee to a broker.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Well, unless you're lucky. Some friends have had $1000 good delivered to Australia (goods bought off eBay (eg: camera stuff)) without ever getting taxed.

4. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought it off a classified add website. I am United States and the seller is in Hong Kong.

5. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

OK so have you already paid the vendor for the item?

Has the item been shipped.

Is it in the States waiting for collection.

Have you checked with US customs what the situation is regarding duty payable?

Usually duty if payable is not paid by the shipper.

On the face of it, it looks like you will have to just pay the duty. There's not much you can do about it. Because duty laws vary so widely all over the world shippers cannot be responsible for that. It is up to the recipient to be aware of the local laws.

6. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do I contact US customs?

7. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/import/duty_rates/

It might take you a while to find the information you want. But there should be contact numbers there where you can get more info if you can't find what you are looking for.

8. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Don't trust them, customs should contact the recipient, not the sender. They're trying to scam you.

9. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Eh? The OP is the recipient.

10. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Yes, and he said the sender is emailing him, telling him he has to pay more. Every time I've imported something (granted, I'm in the UK) that I've had to pay customs on, I've had a call or letter from HM Customs, or the delivery person has taken the payment when they give it to me (I think it might only be UPS that does that).

Also, the payment is done at your end, not the sender's. If the sender is saying you have to pay them BEFORE they'll ship it, it sounds dodgy.

11. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Fair enough. I don't think anybody's very clear on exactly what's happening here, least of all the OP. :rolleyes:

It could be that the courier is trying to contact the OP so that they can take payment and clear the shipment, but have been unable to do so because of insufficient or incorrect information on the waybill. The sender may have contacted the courier for proof of delivery, only to be told that the item can't be delivered until the customs charges have been paid.

On the other hand, as you say, it could be a scam.