Question about 15" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mldqj, Dec 25, 2006.

1. mldqj macrumors newbie

Finally I am going to upgrade my 12" PB G4 to a 15" MBP (probably immediately after the MWSF). I haven't decided between the two 15" models yet. I am going to have 2G ram, so the only difference is CPU and graphics. I believe the difference in CPU clockrate won't make much difference, since CPU is seldom the bottleneck. But I am wondering how much of a difference would 256M video memory make vs 128M? Could that justify a $350 price difference? I am not a 3D designer, but I play games from time to time.

I also heard some bad things about the 15" screen. Would it be a bad time to purchase a 15" MBP at this time?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Well don't just "hear" about it, just pop down to the nearest Applecentre and see it for yourself right before your eyes. At the end of the day it is your eyes which will be working with that thing, the screen may be "fine and flawless" for others but may make you want to rip your eyeballs out after working for extended periods, it is entirely subjective.

Doubt there will ever be a fix until Apple introduces higher resolution MBPs though, this problem has been around since the old Core Duo Macbook Pros.

To read more on what you should expect to see, check out the link to the Dell forum in my sig, those poor Dell users' descriptions matches the current Macbook Pro display perfectly.

3. Chanabra macrumors member

Dude iWoot, you got screwed over, that doesn't mean everyone will.
    My MBP's screen is flawless.

mldqj - I upgraded from my powerbook g4 12', and it's an amazing upgrade.
    I doubt any higher and greater MBPs coming out at MWSF. These were released to recently.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I really doubt it, I have been to a couple shops to look at their demo units and they are all the same.

I guess some people are just less sensitive to it, like I said it is entirely subjective.

5. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

well it depends, i used to be a big time pc gamer before i switched so games were a pretty big deal to me. I play Battlefield 2 a lot so graphics were pretty important. As you can see from my sig I chose the cheaper base model and i can run Battlefield 2 on medium settings, high resolution, and 90% draw distance. That's pretty good considering it's a mac running boot camp and that the video card is only 128mb. But still, it's your choice

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Another alternative to consider would be cheapening out on the laptop, and putting the money towards a cheap PC for gaming purposes.