Question about 5.1 speakers for my G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ///M Power, Oct 28, 2003.

1. ///M Power macrumors newbie

I'm interested in maybe getting 5.1 speakers for my G5, like the Klipsch ProMedia GMX D-5.1 Speakers or Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers on The Apple Store.

I'm thinking they're way overkill for what I will use them for. Mainly (or at least right off the bat) just for iTunes listening - maybe occasional DVD, and in the future games.

So, when listening to music will it play through all 5 speakers or just the front two?

Thank you.

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    nearly every single 5.1 homw theathre receive systems will only play stereo sound through the two front speakers and the subwoofer.

kenwood's top-of-the-line receiver will play all 5, but that is expensive.

i adon't know what speaker systems you are looking at, whether or not they run themselves... but i doubt they will play stereo through all speakers.

i would not waste your money on a 5.1 system when you woulr rarely be using the center and rear speakers.

my recommendation is to purchase a nice quality 2.1 system and you will be happy. your dvds will still sound great, as will your games. plus, your pocket will either be thicker, or your ears will be happier because you can afford better speakers since you are getting fewer.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

On most receivers, if you have a 2-channel input thru the optical ports, you can select to have the stereo played thru the 4 speakers (front/back stereo). It doesnt give you 5.1 but it sure sounds nice.

4. Macette macrumors 6502

you know, I was wondering if, since Apple haven't included an Apple speaker jack (for the Apple Pro Speakers) on the G5, maybe they will be releasing an equivalent which uses the optical out port? That would be nice...

I just want something little, like the Apple Pro speakers, with Apple styling to match my machine.

5. primalman macrumors 6502a

Not heard this yet, good idea!

6. Macette macrumors 6502

yes, maybe i should work for apple... :)

7. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

First, make sure to have a LCD screen ... say a 23 inch. This way you are not limited to magnetically shielded speakers.
    Second, if you like a wide range of music, like classical to NIN, you want good speakers. Little satelite speakers may not cut it.
    Since you have a large screen, you can watch movies, so make sure you have a good size sub-woofer (read BIG)(maybe two)
    Now you need an amp, or more correctly a receiver. Power is good. But can cause deafness.
    This is looking like an excellent entertainement center.
    With iTunes and a 160G drive (better make that dual 250 Gs), you have the ultimate iPod. Only somewhat larger and less portable.

:D ( I'm only half tongue in cheek )

8. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Question about 5.1 speakers for my G5

You cannot go wrong with klipsch; simply put they are the only 'computer speakers' i would ever buy :)

9. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Re: Re: Question about 5.1 speakers for my G5

i have owned a klipsch powered sub for several years. all i can say is WOW!

klipsch makes some nice audio components.

10. photohead macrumors member

I just bought some klipsch 4.1 .....they are damb good speakers....best I've heard and a great price...I got them referb from klipsch direct...for 129....blows anything else i've seen out of the water....but words of advice....I bought them because my friend said they were great speakers and boy was he right....but ...I don't have a two chanel sound card so I can only get sound from the front two speakers and sub...so I did a little over kill...I plan on getting a two channel card so I'll make good use of the 4.1 in the future....so what I would suggest is going with the klipsch promedia 2.1 referb...for 100 bucks..can't go wrong....get it from thier website...I wouldnt' get the 5.1 because I don't think they look that cool...and may be a little over kill...but the best use of a 100 bucks for speakers that will blow harmond karman...(??is that how you spell it) away is the klipsch promedia 2.1. My two cents..

N

11. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

Of course, we could throw in something like the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 PCI card and connect basically any speaker system to it...
    I think it runs about $100 at otherworldcomputing.com. That's what I'm going to be throwing in my G4 soon, and my brother already has one...pretty impressive.