Question about 6-Port Firewire and Ex. HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by forthebrave, Mar 19, 2006.

1. forthebrave macrumors regular

I recently bought the Belkin 6-Port Firewire adapter. Right now I have two external HD's ( 200 GB and 300 GB ),and my iSight connected. I was wondering if it was safe to have my two HD's always connected? I've been having issues with my screen turning dim and not coming back to normal until I restart. I reset the PRAM and still after using my iMac for awhile the screen turns dim, like as if were about to go to sleep, but when I try to brighten it, it stays the same brightness?

2. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Why not do a simple test?

Unplug the external HDs and see if your problem still happens.

If it does, then remove the internal card and see if it still happens.

If it does then you know its nowt to do with the HDs or card.

xoxo ..RedTomato..

3. howesey macrumors 6502a

Is it a power mac?

I have used Power Macs that when IEE 1394 port is used, the dual core goes into single core mode as the IEE 1394 port uses up too much power off the power supply. You can fix it by buying a new PSU, but under warranty it's not a good thing. Apple will not honour it a problem so they wont fix it. It only efects a small proportion of quad Power Macs. :mad: It can also cause other problems too, but I havn't experienced these.

4. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

That sounds like quite a design flaw. I still couldn't see it affecting the screen though, as that would have a seperate power supply, surely. I read that initial post as if they were connecting a 6 port hub into the single IEEE1394 port on say a PowerBook and that affected the screen brightness.