Question about a PC hard drive...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by h0e0h, Apr 14, 2005.

1. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

I did a quick search of the forums... because I'm looking for an answer soon... and I've come up with this question.

Let me set it up... in my PC I have a 40 gig and a 60 gig. I got a virus (imagine that) so I'm going to wipe the whole system out (both hard drives) and I was wondering if I just install XP on that 40 gig and partition, but don't format, that 60 gig, is there a way I can access that unformatted drive (after I share it) from my PowerBook and format it to the PB to clone my HD before I do a clean install of Tiger? All of your suggestions and solutions are welcome...

thanks ahead,
    h0e0h

2. brap macrumors 68000

A disk has to be formatted before it can be shared, so um... nope. :eek:

Your best bet is a cheap external case, or USB2->IDE cable.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

1: You can't share a drive until it is formatted -- unless it is formatted it doesn't exist, And to be shared it has to be formatted in a Windows compatible method

2: You can't use a Mac to format a drive that is inside a separate computer

Methinks you are making this way more difficult than it has to be.

Why don't you just remove the 60, put it in a Firewire case or Combo Firewire USB2 case and plug it into the 'book?

Darn: Beaten to the Brap again :p

4. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

that's what i was afraid of... SCREW YOU MICROSOFT! (that has nothing to do with my problem... i just thought i'd let them know how i really felt about them)