Question about AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MattQiu, May 11, 2005.

1. MattQiu macrumors member

MattQiu

Hi, since my speedtouch 330 doesn't work with Tiger, im thinking to buy AirPort Extreme base station. just one question: will AirPort Extreme base station can be used as a ADSL modem? Thx

2. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

No, but usually your ISP will offer a wireless gateway (e.g. I am using this through SBC Yahoo!) that can serve as both a DSL modem and a wireless router.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No, you'll need to get an ethernet ADSL modem/router if you want to use it wirelessly with an Airport Extreme or Express.

The most basic one that many ISPs seem to offer (for about £30) is the BT Voyager 205 which apparently does work with 10.4

4. MattQiu thread starter macrumors member

MattQiu

Thx for the reply :) r u sure it will work with tiger? i just found one on eBay, only 30 mins left :rolleyes:

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not from experience, no. But I did go Google-hunting for info last night because my sister is thinking of getting one with her Plusnet broadband installation (she has USB 1 so the 'free' modem won't do). I found one guy who said it was definitely working on 10.4 and no reports saying that it wasn't. Since ethernet doesn't need the drivers that USB does, it should be OK