Question about Airport Extreme...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pablo, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Pablo macrumors regular

I currently have a Linksys 802.11b wireless router and an Orinoco Gold WiFi card in my Dell notebook.

If (when) I go with a Mac, it will likely be either the 17" PowerBook, or an updated 15" PowerBook.

I'm happy with the performance of the Linksys router, and don't want to replace it or purchase an Apple base station.

I know that 802.11g (airport extreme) is backwards compatible to 802.11b. As I understand it, this means that if I have a 802.11g base station (router), a 802.11b card will talk to it (but won't be able to make use of the speed and encryption of the 802.11g).

But does this mean that a 802.11g card (airport extreme built into the powerbook) can talk to the 802.11b base station (router) and work like my current 802.11b card?

2. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can use your current base station with the new PBook, that is the point of the backwards compatibility. I would be seriously pissed off if you couldn't use Airport X with old base stations.

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Yes

The new Airport Extreme (802.11g) card will work with the old Linksys 802.11b router fine, but without the benefits of 802.11g.

If you ever want to upgrade the router, Linksys has an 802.11g router for under $150. Should be under $100 before long.

EDIT: Something to remember is there may be a problem with passwords on Linksys routers where you need to specify the actual WEP key instead of just the password in the Airport menu.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

802.11b and 802.11g are compatible with each other...
    don't get a linksys router if you're gonna get a new one.
    the airport extreme bases are so much prettier.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

how often are you looking at your wireless router? Dont get me wrong, i would take an Airport over anything else, but for price, for many people its a very important factor to get something cheap, and no beauty can make up for something that isnt a 'show peice'.

6. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I can only speak for myself but - everyday. It's on top of my TV, in my living room. It looks like a modern set of rabbit ears.

7. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Yes

Thanks for the information. Sounds like I should be okay for a while. I don't do a whole lot of file transfer between my PCs, so the increased speed isn't that important to me (especially since the 802.11b standard of 11 Mbps is faster than my broadband connection. The increased security, on the other hand, is appealing, but not enough for me to replace my two month old router with another one...for a while anyways.

Can you explain this to me?

I've enabled WEP, changed the ESSID, and am not broadcasting the ESSID.

Are you saying that I would not be able to enter the WEP key in the Airport menu?

8. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: Re: Yes

Sorry for not being entirely clear the first time. What I mean is if you specify the password in the router setup you cannot just type it into the password field in the Airport menu. You have to type in the actual WEP key.

9. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm currently using Hex WEP key, so that shouldn't be a problem for me.

Thanks again for the information!

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Re: Yes

yeah i hate that, im trying to find a solution to that. no way will i be entering in that 25 digit or whatever. currently its no passwords protected. but i live in the middle of no where so no one will taking away from me.

iJon

11. biscool macrumors member

You can always have airport remember the code...

12. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

He may mean when he uses a new user account/computer/OS X installation.