Question about Airport??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by prostuff1, Aug 22, 2005.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I just got two new computers. One an iBook 12in and the other a 17in SD iMac. I already have an iMac at home that is connected to the internet by DSL. I was wondering if it is possible to get the iMac that is hooked up to the internet to act as a "hub" so that the other computers could use the internet??

I got it so that the other two realize that a network is there and the one says that it is connected to the net but it will not let me browse the net. What am i doing wrong??

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you should search the forums on this. there is a lot of thought and opinion out of this already. there is two basic answers.

the best solution, imho, is to get a broadband router or a basetation.

if you really want to share internet from your mac goto sharing in preferences then click on internet. take it from there.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In Tiger, go to System Preferences and click on Sharing. Under the internet tab, start Internet Sharing. :)

Beaten. :(

But yeah, I recommend a router.

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Work Wirelessly

I have a DSL connection running into my Power Mac G4 and would like to use a wireless link to an iMac about 30 feet away. Right now I’ve got an Ethernet cable running between the two but would like to eliminate it. What options do I have?—Art Ritchie

Probably the least-expensive option is to purchase a $79 Apple AirPort Extreme card for the iMac and a wireless router for the Power Mac. Companies such as Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link offer 802.11g wireless routers that cost between $50 and $80. Run the DSL connection into the router’s WAN port, string an Ethernet cable between the Power Mac and one of the router’s LAN ports (these routers usually have four such ports), and access the router’s Internet connection via the AirPort card you’ve installed in the iMac. Alternatively, you can add an AirPort Extreme card to each Mac. Connect the DSL modem to the Power Mac’s Ethernet port, open the Sharing preference pane on the Power Mac, and click on the Internet tab. Choose Built-in Ethernet from the Share Your Connection From pop-up menu. Then enable the AirPort option in the To Computers Using list. Click on the Start button. Run over to the iMac, and you’ll discover that your Power Mac appears under the AirPort menu. Choose it from the menu and start sharing its connection to the Internet.

from Macworld.com

I hope this helps somewhat.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

yeah that is what i ment :p System Preferences...eh yeah ;)

6. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

OK, and thanks everyone. I think i am going to go and get a wireless router tomorrow.

Any suggestions on brands and makes??

thanks

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The AirPort Express is easy to use and it has AirTunes so you can play songs wirelessly to your sound system however it is relatively expensive. Others around here have had good experiences with Netgear and Linksys routers though. :)

8. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Do NOT get a Siemens Speedstream 6520, complete crap, always dropping out. Now I know why it came "free" with my DSL

9. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

Don't forget, he can also share a printer from the Airport express. Since he has three computers this would be a handy feature. My roommate and my sister each just got a new Airport express. They work great! They are a little more expensive but the they are worth it.