Question about an Apple CRT Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nospleen, Apr 24, 2004.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

2. Bhennies macrumors 6502

It looks best at 1056x792. However, you can go up to 1600x1200 if you want (even though it shrinks viewable real estate). I have this display, and it's color and clarity beat any Apple LCD hands down. However, it is big and heavy- thus I'm getting an LCD when they release them. A great display for a powerbook setup though. It is ADC.

3. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Display will not work with Powerbook!

This display will not work with your Powerbook!

I have the same display and a late model TiBook, and unless the ports have changed on the newer Powerbooks (and I don't think they have), this display will not work, even with Apple's DVI - ADC connector.

I learned the hard way that it will not work with the Powerbook. This was confirmed by Apple technical support.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Unfortunately, the laptops do not support ADC. I'd imagine it has something to do with the pass through power to the monitor is more voltage than they want to run through the book. You CAN get a DVI-ADC adaptor thing from the Apple Store, but it's $100.

5. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

No, even with the adapter it will not work.

6. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Oh no! sorry about my false post- ****. I was planning on using mine when I get a new powerbook! ARGGHHHHH!!! That f***s up all my plans!

7. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

NOOOOOO!! What can you al recommend that has around 1600 x 1200 for around 150? (Prefer silver color to match.)

8. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

I can't answer from experience, but I've heard excellent things about the LaCie Electron Blue displays...

However, they are blue (not silver - but still attractive in my opinion) and more than $150.

9. thecow macrumors 6502

At the apple retail store they have a 20 in display hooked into a powerbook. It will work. I've seen it.

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If I understand it correctly, the problem is that the old CRTs (old style monitors) use an analog signal. The DVI-ADC doesn't convert the digital DVI to analog so only the new digital LCD (flat-panel) displays will work with the adapter.

11. Bhennies macrumors 6502

i don't think they do...I have a 17" CRT with a single cable- I'm sure it's a digital transfer. I just don't know if it's any different from the ADC on the new displays.

12. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

We're not talking about LCD displays. Those will obviously work.

It's the older 17" Apple Studio CRT display that we're discussing, and it will not work.