question about an ibook i might buy

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by j_tuff, Oct 25, 2004.

1. j_tuff macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2004
    There is an ibook on ebay which the description says the screen just stopped working. The description also said it boots up and it's two years old. It might go for cheap. Do you guys think anything else could be wrong with the machine besides that. What is the worst possible scenerio? Thanks.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Link? So that we can see what exactly the seller is saying is wrong.
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    ask him/her about the model # and the serial #. this will do two things: 1) it makes sure that the seller's got a machine and 2) you may qualify to have the display problem fixed under apple's extended iBook logic board repair.

if it did qualify, you'd let the guy know (if you were nice) or you'll end up with a functional machine for a lot less $$$. (if you weren't so nice.) ;)

here are the details about the repair program.
  4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    Althou you might pay extra for a new one i think its worth it, i have always had problems when i buy used computers. I would not recommend you buy it unless you dont want to pay much then i think you should, but make sure that fixing the screen will not cost you more then getting a new one.
  5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ooh, nice find. If the screen is the only problem, and you have an idea how to fix it, this would be a great deal. (I notice the bidding has ended, did you win it?) A fully-operational ibook of this type would probably still sell for around 500 dollars, considering it has a DVD player and would run OS X just fine. Good luck if you do happen to be the high bidder! :D
  6. j_tuff thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2004
    No I didn't win. I was short by 30 bucks. I put in a max bid, I couldn't wait for the bidding to end (had to get on the highway). I'll keep trying, thanks for the info guys.