Question About Apple Warranty Replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ForeverUnknown, Jan 7, 2007.

1. ForeverUnknown macrumors regular

There seems to be a problem with my brand new MBP. I created a thread a little while ago detailing my problems with programs, mainly Finder, crashing randomly. I've tried anything and everything to no avail. I've called Apple and followed their suggestions, but again, nothing going. Called twice so far, and I need to call again tomorrow morning to see what they'll do now.

Now if Apple is oh so kind enough, would they give me a replacement right away or would they try to fix it while I wait? I need this for school which starts next week, so I don't have all the time in the world to wait for Apple for fix my DOA MBP. If they actually just give me a replacement, would they wait until receiving my unit before sending out the other or would they cross-ship?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has dealt with Apple warranty service.

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

When they replace it, they'll have you send it out, and when FedEx (or whoever) scans it into their system, Apple will send out the replacement. So it should get there plenty-fast.

I had similar problems with my first Intel iMac, and it took a while, but I ended up getting a refund for it.

3. ForeverUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

Hm that sounds ok. I assume you had to pay for your own shipping, correct?

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

No, they emailed me a FedEx label which I printed and taped on the box. They should do the same for any replacement.

5. ForeverUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

Ok good. I've had a lot of other warranty replacements where I had to pay for shipping and I wasn't looking forward to paying for the heavy MBP.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Apple usually does not replace machines. They will try to fix it first in most cases.

jon

7. ForeverUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I've been going through in my calls, but their remedies aren't working.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

seems like they want to try to repair it for the same hardware issue at least three times before they replace it

have you sent it back for repairs before?

9. ForeverUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

No. It's brand new. Ordered on Dec 30 and received Jan 3rd.

I called Apple again today and it looks like they want me to send it ini for work. However, no replacement until they get it and check it out. Ugh the hassle, but I guess it's my only option.

10. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Applecare is the best warranty system I have ever used. Quick and painless, as long as you're still covered (which you clearly are). You will almost deffinitely be pleasantly suprised with the result, and the speed of which you receive your fixed/new computer.

11. ForeverUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

My main concern is that they'll check it out and find nothing wrong only to send it back with the same errors. I can try to get Finder to crash again and send out the crash log with the package, but I don't know if that'll matter. I don't have time to play hot potato with Apple with school starting next week.

So they're sending out the shipping box I'm required to use today or tomorrow. I know I won't have my MBP until the middle of next week at the earliest.

12. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

If it isn't working, you gutta do what you gutta do. Send it back, you'll more like than not get a fully working computer back.