Question about Applecare

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Josh, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I've searched all over for the answer to this but cannot find it.

Does AppleCare begin the day you buy it, and start counting down the 3yr perioud - or does it begin the day your register/activate it.

I bought AppleCare in September, and have not even opened it. Is it still good for 3 years, or is it good for 2 years and some odd months?

Thanks!

2. benwa02 macrumors 6502

i think i read somewhere that it starts from the date of purchase.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

4. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Indeed. So if you buy the Applecare extended warranty, wether you get when you buy the machine or 2 days before the regular warranty expires, you get exactly 3 years of coverage. The only difference I can think of is once you activate Applecare you get phone support which only lasts 90 days without it.

5. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

Ok. The reason I ask is that I am selling it to someone, and I want to know if they will be able to get 3 years out of it, or if it will be less.

6. Norouzi macrumors 6502

They will have a total of 3 years Warranty from the date you Originaly purchased the machine, so they will basicly have however long is left on the Original One Year warranty, and an additional 2 years with the AppleCare.

7. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

Ok - thank you!

I will reduce the price of it then, in that case.

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

why? it's not like there's any other choice...

9. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

heh...I can't sell someone AppleCare that runs out in 2 years and 8 months for the same price as a full 3 year AppleCare.

Well, I could - I just doubt anyone would buy it :)

10. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

Edit - I get it now. AC runs out 3 years from when the COMPUTER was purchased, regardless of when you buy AC. Is that correct?

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The apple care is only worth 2 years no matter how you look at it. It is still worth the same. Did you bother reading the link?

The original warranty of whatever product you bought covers the first year, and Apple care covers the next two.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

YES. :)

13. Makosuke macrumors 603

Actually, if those are correct numbers (that is, you bought the computer four months ago and are selling it now), then the Applecare is at least theoretically worth full price.

Without it, the computer would have had 8 months of hardware warranty remaining, and zero months of phone support remaining. The buyer could, at their option, buy AppleCare for themselves, at full price, any time during that 8 months, and get the same amount of use out of it (minus any gap in phone support).

With it, they get the same effect as if they'd bought Applecare the day you handed it to them, which gives them the maximum amount of phone support and the same amount of hardware warranty at the same priec they'd have paid anyway. The only difference would be if they specifically didn't want to buy AppleCare, in which case that's not a selling point for them anyway.

The only warranty lost to the buyer is the four months of the computer's age, and the markdown for that should be reflected in the price of the used computer to begin with.