Question About Apple's Refurbished Line

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by berkleeboy210, Apr 16, 2005.

1. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Hi Folks,

Was just Checking Apple's Refurbished Model List and can't figure out why It takes a week to ship that compared to a new model's 1-3day lead time. The 12" PowerBook 1.33ghz was stated to ship in 5-7 days while the `1.5ghz is only 1-3 days.

Any clues as to why this happens?

2. newton213 macrumors member

As with any other item Apple sells, it's all about how much of the product they have on hand. Simple math, if the lead time on the refurb is longer than the new, they've got less on hand. You have to remember the supply & demand for refurb product is much less than new product, so Apple isn't going to be cramming warehouses full of refurb stuff. They'll mark it down and get it out the door, keeping more room for stuff they can sell easier and make a bigger profit off of. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for refurb stuff. You know it's been gone over real well, and has full warranty, and you save a few bucks, so what's not to love? If you're in a super rush, choose overnight shipping instead of the standard 5-7 day ground shipping, and you'll make up most of that lead time.

3. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

It seems everyday, that Apple is posting more 12" 1.33 Combo's for Sale for $1099. If I haven't been scammed 5 times for my PC Laptop on Ebay, I'd be getting one.

J&R had a bunch of the 1099 ones but they sold out lighting fast.

The Power of a PowerBook for the Price of an iBook. :)