Question About Apples Return Policy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jumpman25, Jan 21, 2005.

1. jumpman25 macrumors regular

I was just wondering if anyone knew what apples return policy was. I paced an order for a BTO 15" powerbook on the 14th, and it looks like it is going to ship out today. Since it is comming from Taiwan, it will take 5 days to get here, and it looks like new powerbooks will be out within the next few days (before I even recieve this powerbook!). Does apple offer any type of buyer protection, in otherwords could I send the powerbook back unopened if new powerbooks do come out before I even receive this one and exchange it for a new powerbook. It just bothers me that apple would even send you an old model when new ones will be out in less than a week (especially if I don't even have the powerbook in my hands when the new ones come out). Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. KCK macrumors regular

4. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply. It says no returns or refunds, but would you be able to exchange it for a new product? Has anybody ever had to deal with something like this when buying an apple product? Also, I thought there was a buyer protection policy in the US. I am not sure about this but thought I read it somewhere.

5. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh, it just seems like a update is right around the corner now, as all the apple stores including the US store just changed the shipping date on non-BTO powerbooks from next day to 3-5 and 7-10 days. It seems pretty clear that they were drying up stock for an update. Also, what if there are price drops? Could I get a refund for the difference?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's on the link I left you under "Prices."

Edit: Of course that price protection short reads alot better than the old price protection policy.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Call, and ask... the worst they can do is say no.

Or they might be night and give you a refund.

The current price protection policy doesn't look as bad as the old one the had up during the time the Rev. B PowerMacs were announced.

That one read very strict.

Though people say you need to call immediately when the new machines are announced and you're in the window.

Apple won't help people who procrastinate -- their offer expires real quick. And the time limit tends to be rock solid.

8. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help. They have not shipped my order yet, although it is scheduled to ship toady (at least according to my order status). But then again it is saturday in Taiwan where it is shipping from, so mabie they are going to hold out and send me an update. Mabie I'm just getting fired up over nothing.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They changed the policy since I last looked... so they are probably not as strict with the model number as they used to be.

Lots of weasel words in the old policy.

10. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

In similar situation

Hello all. I am going to use this thread to ask a similar question. I just received my 12" 1.33GHz Powerbook BTO with the 80GB 5400 RPM HD yesterday. However, there is a stuck pixel near the top of the screen. It is not that big of a deal but if the updates come out on Tuesday I'm going to be even more pissed. In reading the policy I have until the 28th to get money for price drops. Another thing that seems to be happening is my bluetooth adapter periodically goes out and the system does not see it. If I restart then it comes back. Hmmmm. Anyway, if I called apple on Tuesday and explained this situation do you think they would let me exchange this system for a new one given that it has some quirks and I would still be entitled to the price difference deal thing? Any input would help. Thanks.

11. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

There policy says that they don't allow returns or refunds on BTO products. This is why I was wondering as well about what your options are. I think you just need to call apple, tell them your situation, and don't give in until they let you exchange it. We get the BTO options because we want the best they have, and when you pay extra for BTO options, and then they make those standard, and upgrade other parts right after you get it, or in my case, possibly before I even recieve it, you can't help but feel you have been ripped off.

12. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Yeah, we seem to be in a similar situation. I guess just getting more opinions over the weekend if anyone has any will help and on Tuesday I can decide what to do then. Thanks for the support :)