Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuddyRich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
So i've played around with ios7 for a few days on my iphone 5 and ipad3.

Initially I was having bad battery life but by turning off a lot of features it wasn't too bad on the i5. Crazy laggy on the ipad3 though so I went back to 6 before it was too late to revert until a version better on the iPad comes along. However on the i5 it wasn't bad.

One thing Ive noticed, and I think its by design.

The setting background app refresh basically turns on or off multitasking. I used the global switch to turn it off, though I only had 4 or 5 apps that were listed anyway (3 of them used GPS). One of those apsp motion x GPS, I use to log tracks when cycling.

However, with that setting off, even though I give that app permission to use location services, it stops updating in the background. Not good for something that you want to continue to record your track with. It used to just work in ios6. I figure this is by design.

No problem, I turned the global setting to on, but turned all of the listed apps to off except for motionx and it recorded tracks again, but if I leave that setting on, even with the app closed (all apps closed as a matter of fact) it drains the battery quicker than with that setting off. So something is up with that setting.

My question is, can I get it to work like ios6 again, turning the setting off but still have GPS apps able to do their thing in the background as they could in ios6?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.