Question about bandwidth of getting internet from satallite TV provider

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TomGolden, Dec 22, 2012.

1. macrumors member

TomGolden

Hi all,

My dad lives in a very remote area of the southern California Mojave desert. He has never had any type of internet service, but I am currently researching ways he could get internet service. I'm told he lives way too far from his phone company central office to get DSL, so getting internet from his satallite TV provider is probably the only option. He has DirecTV and on theirvweb site, they claim to offer internet through the teleCo that he already gets his land line service through (Verizon).

If I understand this hookup correctly, the downstream data comes in via the satallite, and your upstream flow goes out your telephone landline. But, it that is true, and he can't get DSL, I would guess the upload speed of this scenario is only going to be as fast as the phone line can support.

I would truly be grateful for any real world experience on this matter.

Thank you all.

Tom

2. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Internet over satellite is fast but laggy as hell!

Yes it's correct your upload will be very poor but downloading files once the download actually kicks in is great. If he is just surfing the Internet your better off with dial up unless its heavy on content.

3. thread starter macrumors member

TomGolden

Thanks Gav2K

That's what I had expected. I used on board satallite internet from a cruise ship a few years ago, and it was horrendous. I just wasn't sure if maybebthe technology had improved any since 2006.

4. macrumors 68000

robanga

I know someone that has it for their motorhome. Its expensive and laggy but better than dialup. Also i believe the total plan they have is something like 5-10GB not that different from allowances on a cellular plan.

They usually use a 4G cellular modem when coverage allows it.