Question about battery life and durability...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nospleen, Jan 11, 2004.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I am getting ready to purchase either a Refurb 12" PB 867 combo, or a new iBook G4 800. I am going back to school, so the 12" is pefect for taking with me. I am having a hard time deciding between the two. The powerbook will cost me 72 more than the iBook. I am almost leaning towards the powerbook, but I wanted to know if anyone knows which one has better battery life? Also, which one will be more durable and less prone to getting dinged or bent. The last thing, which one would you choose? Thanks for the help!

2. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

well, if you read the spec, it should be pretty clear that iBook has a better battery life.

i have a soon to be year old PB 12". the battery lasts 4 hours with the screen dimmed and the airport turned on. (of course, no optical disc drive usage and not very heavy apps being used.)

i imagine iBook will be more durable. the plastic encasing may be more scratch prone than Al coating of of the PB, but those are just cosmetic...

i'd personally get the PB because i love the design... if you want USB 2, then get the iBook, of course...

i dunno about the details of your comparison but iBook comes with 30 GB disk. PB has 40 GB.

4. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

It's generally agreed that the polycarbonate plastic of the iBooks are tougher than either titanium or aluminum PB's, and that iBooks have better battery life...not sure if putting the G4 in the iBook changed that.

One other thing to consider: an iBook's AirPort reception is still better than the AluBooks by some margin. If you're going to be using your laptop in wireless situations fairly often, this could be a big factor.

5. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Good point about the wireless. I think I am leaning towards the ibook. If the PB cost 200 more, no question I would get the ibook. But, the 72$ is not that much. I think it is the name 'power'book that makes me think it is a better buy when in reality they are comprable.