Question about buying before Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NYU02, Feb 13, 2007.

1. NYU02 macrumors regular

Hi All,
    I am looking to buy a MB or MBP ASAP. Since rumors are floating that Leopard is a few months away I have a few questions I am hoping this forum can answer about buying pre-Leopard and about Macs in general.

1) Since I have a program that only works with windows I will have to install Vista or XP. If I install via bootcamp which is in beta now what will happen if I upgrade to leopard where a supported version is included. Will I have to delete the beta boot camp or will it just update my bootcamp and apple will now support it?

2) With Leopard including boot camp, is it fully supported by apple and will it support Vista?

3) Should I go with boot camp or parallels. If I go with parallels and I have to partition memory for it, will that partition end when I close the program and all my memory will be back in use for my mac OS?

4) One last quick question - With having no idea on hardware updates should wait for any hardware updates as well?

Thank you very much for your insight and information

2. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

TheManOfSilver

OK, so I'm not the most knowledgeable about boot camp and parallels, so I'll let others answer there. I'll only put my two cents in about waiting for an upgrade, since that's where I find myself. Seriously, if you can wait (even if it means borrowing a laptop for a few months) do it. Chances are that Leopard will be out before June (less than 4 months away now), and you're likely to see some hardware improvements in the portable line along the way (including the Santa Rosa platform that you can find tons of chat about on these boards). And of course faster processor, larger capacity hard drives, etc. etc.

Good things come to those who wait. Of course, if you're desperate, buy what you need. But it sounds like you're on the fence ... so I'd say wait.

3. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Im new to mac stuff, but what is this Santa Rosa platform you mention? Im on the fence of buying a MB or MBP now, or waiting, so im just tyring to soak up all the info i can before making a decision.

4. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

TheManOfSilver

Quick summary on Wikipedia.

There are also 45nm chips on the way, but that's probably not until the end of the year.

5. TheBrazilianGuy macrumors regular

Boot Camp is beta as it is. Nobody *really* knows what changes are being made by Apple. It is reasonable to believe that what works now might work at
    the time Leopard is released.

Then, probable answers would be

1. Your current partition scheme would be the same.
    2. Isn't XP enough ?
    3. Parallels do not partition your disk. It is just a third party software.
    4. Nobody knows for sure "when". Updates are always coming, though.
    If you can wait until there, you might save up to 5% off plus US$350.00
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=278999