Question about calibrating PowerBook battery

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lorkp, Apr 30, 2006.

1. lorkp macrumors member

While initially charging the battery and charing it after it's been drained, am I allowed to use the computer? If not, should the computer be shut down or in sleep mode?

2. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

in my experience it works best to use the computer until it forces itself to go to sleep. then, leave it sleeping for however many hours it takes for the sleep light to stop glowing. this indicates that the battery's reserve has also drained and the computer was forced to shut down. then, plug the power adapter in and keep the computer off until it switches from orange to green.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My experience is different. I don't wait for the sleep light to disappear, but rather plug the machine back in straight after it has fallen asleep from exhaustion.

Throughout the whole time, you can use the machine. Charge it up, pull the plug once it has stopped charging, wait for it to fall asleep (wait until after the reserve battery warning and yes, you can use the machine throughout this time), then plug it in and charge it back up to 100%.

All up, the only downtime you get is that second when the machine falls asleep. You can plug it straight back into the wall though, and be on your merry way. :)

4. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Hmm, never knew that. I always thought that you had to keep the book sleeping while it was charging and could only fire it up once the battery is fully charged. I'll have to read the calibration instructions again on apple's website.

But I'll do it later. I'm a bit lazy right now. :)

5. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

i usually calibrate my laptops using mad jew's description...once it goes to sleep, i plug it in and charge it up from there and continue to work on it while it's charging...

6. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I just let it drain and plug it in as soon as it goes to sleep.

Daniel.

7. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

The calibration process changed starting with the hi-rez 15" & 17" PowerBooks (and therefore includes the new MBP's).

With these models you are supposed to let them sit 5 hours or more after you drain it down before you begin charging them again. Check out this Apple info doc for more info on both processes:

click me!

8. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

ditto. have been since ibook g3 and up. seems to work well.