Question About Cell Phone Service Agreements

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rockthecasbah, Jan 27, 2007.

1. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I've decided that I have interest in upgrading my current cell phone from the Nokia 3120 to the KRZR K1. I'm currently in a plan with my dad on Cingular as a shared family plan, with what i believe is most likely a couple more months of contracted service left. I have enjoyed the service and have no objection to continuing with the service i currently have through Cingular.

So my question is, do you think I would be able to get the KRZR K1 at the subsidized price of $199.99 w/ 2 year agreement but have those two years be additional to whatever I have left on my current contract rather than be a "new" contract with a different plan?

2. BGAYLOR07 macrumors member

If you want to stay on your family plan you should be eligible for a phone upgrade if you renew the contract. If you renew the contract then you would get the discounts on the phone as well. Just contact Cingular or go by a store and they will let you know if you are eligible. If you get your own "new" plan, then you would still have the discount but it wouldn't be added to your previous plan. Hope this makes sense.

3. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Yeah that helps but i'm still confused on one thing. Are you saying i would still be eligible for a phone upgrade and get that price even though we're under contract for the current family plan by just renewing it :confused:

4. BGAYLOR07 macrumors member

Yes. Under your current contract, you can renew or extend the contract to 2 years in addition to what you have left and they will give the same phone discount as a new customer. Go by a store and they will make sure you are eligible. With you only having a couple months of contracted service left you should be eligible. Most contracts state you have to be with them at least a year to be eligible for a phone upgrade.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sprint lets you upgrade the phone every 18 months, They also require a 2 year contract. I am not sure if you can use an existing or if you need to get a new plan.

6. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Thanks for the help, i was sifting through Cingular's support part on their site and found that i can find out if im eligible to upgrade my phone by simply putting in our account number and stuff :)