Question about Core 2 Duo Chipset?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rayray1017, Sep 21, 2006.

1. rayray1017 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I was wondering if it would be possible to swap out the the processor on my 2.0 core duo with the new core 2 duo chips?

2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

3. rayray1017 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh i'm sorry. I have the original intel iMac with a 2.0 core duo proc.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The current retail prices for Merom chips make it quite unlikely that you'll want to do this.

The T7200 2.0 GHz part is retailing around $325
    The T7400 2.16 GHz part is retailing around $475
    The T7600 2.33 GHz part is retailing around $700

At that rate, you'd probably be better off selling the old Mac and buying a new one with the CPU you want.

Note you cannot use the EXXXX Conroe chips, and the process of disassembly isn't for the inexperienced.

B

5. generik macrumors 601

generik

Just wondering why are you thinking about doing that?

Owning a Mac is not about having the fastest and greatest, in fact for most of history owning a Mac = having a slower computer. It is all about the experience of using MacOS!

6. rayray1017 thread starter macrumors newbie

i've owned macs since '85, but i was just curious if the newer chipsets would be compatible with the old intel iMac's logic board. I might do it in a couple years just for fun.

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

"Just wondering why are you thinking about doing that?

Owning a Mac is not about having the fastest and greatest, in fact for most of history owning a Mac = having a slower computer. It is all about the experience of using MacOS!"

thats not really true, apple has a history of releasing (or at least claiming) the worlds fastest desktops. and if you do 3d animation like me or video etc, YES it very much is about having a powerful computer.

and knowing whether you can upgrade the cpu could be handy to know for the future when chips come down in price.

8. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

To answer your question, it is possible by just swapping out the chips.

I'm planning on doing it with my Mini when the C2D chips drop in price a bit.

;)