Question about creating a .app directory and Framework linking...

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by DUMBDOG, Mar 20, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

I am making a simple OpenGL/GLUT based FPS for my computer graphics class. I am using g++ and vim for all editing, compiling, and linking. My first question is how do I go about creating a clickable .app directory? Is there a certain structure that I have to maintain within the directory for it to work? or is just placing the executable file and resource files in the directory enough? I have not tried anything yet.

My more important question is about linking to the SDL library. For sound in the game I have chosen to used the SDL and SDL_mixer libraries. I had to manually copy the frameworks onto my computer to use them during development. My question is, is there a way to include the libraries with the executable so the user doesn't have to manually download and copy the frameworks onto their personal computers like I had to?

Are there any tutorials or blogs about these two questions somewhere on the web?

Thanks for the help.

2. macrumors 603

Cromulent

If you use Xcode it will do all of that for you automatically.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah thats what kinda turns me off about Xcode (at least right now). Before I start to rely on Xcode (or any other sophisticated IDE for that matter) to do all of the grunt work for me, I want to learn how to do it myself. I googled around a bit and found some documentation on the .app structure on apple's developer website, so that should tell me everything I need to know. Thanks.