Question about Dashboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by monke, Aug 14, 2005.

1. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I was wondering if dashboard used the internet. That sounds like a pretty dumb question (which it is) but Apple has nothing about Dashboard needing the internet on their website.

Here's my scenerio:
    If i'm on an airplane and I want to see where the plane is at the moment, I open dashboard and find the flight tracker widget. Here's where my question comes into play, will the widget tell me where the plane is, or will it need an internet connection?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it uses the internet for most of the widgets I use. Flight Tracker uses the internet for sure. :)

3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yes, you need to be connected to the internet, where else would the information come from?

4. yellow5 macrumors regular

Not ALL widgets require the internet, like the calculator, but MOST of them do.

Flight Tracker DOES require the internet, so you won't be able to use it during flight.

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

...unless you luck out and get put on one of those new flights with hi speed wifi!

6. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Ok, i thought it need the internet. Jay42, i was thinking the exact same thing. *knocks on wood*

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

LOL don't turn on Airport looking for wifi unless they tell you that you can use wifi.

8. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

my two cents

umm, most flights have a map thingy that tells you all sorts of stuff like altitude, outside temp, lat/long, heading etc.

if you are on Singapore Airlines or some other one with screens in the seats, you can find it there.

sorry to be pedantic ;)

9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Recent 737 models have screens in the ceilings that show movies etc...it may show location right before landing.

Also, 767ER and 777 aircraft have the screens built into the seats, where you can choose what you want to see.

Not sure about other aircraft, sorry.