Question about DSL

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by maluscanis, Jan 27, 2003.

1. maluscanis macrumors member

Here's my situation. I'm looking for a job and most of this involves internet searching...the problem is I have a dial-up connection that is becoming unbearably more frustrating to use (I'm used to T1 lines). What I need is a relatively inexpensive but fast service for about a month...what do you suggest? Also, I have never set up dsl or a cable connection... does my G4 iMac have everything it needs? I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

Simon

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Where are you located? If we know we can better recommend a service. :)

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

For a month? That could be a problem. Most companies require you to sign up for at least a year or the charge you up the wazoo.

But in any case, Earthlink is nice at $50/month.

P-Worm

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Dunno about companies in your area, but i like cable over DSL. Setting them up on Mac is a snap, you'll

a) go into your System Preferences, and Network, and select "use DHCP server" or enter whatever settings they give you, which is easy,

b) hook up the cable modem to the cable, then plug it to the mac via USB or ethernet,

c) if the company requires it, activate your cable modem either through an interactive website, or by calling in the MAC number from it.

You don't even have to restart, if your cable modem is ethernet (most are).

detailed instructions should come with both the account, as well as the modem.

i suggest buying your own cable modem, if the company will let you, so you're not charged the extra $5-10 for 'modem rental'. you can use the modem for other things later. they come pretty cheap lately, i got mine for $60.

pnw

5. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Signup for a year? Time Warner doesn't make you sign any contract. I had Sprint DSL for a day and it was so slow compared to my cable so I had Sprint pick their modem up and disconnect the service and went back to cable. My cable is $45 a month and I get about 180k/sec while on a great DSL line I got 80k/sec.

Cable is the best IMO, it's ethernet and live connection so you just hook it up and X pretty much runs with it with little config. DSL, you have to have th PPOPE thing, phone #, all the tpical dial up crap and you have to wait for it to dial unless you leave it on all the time. Cable just stays on like cable TV.

6. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Hasn't been a problem for me. All I did was plug in my DSL modem and OS X did the rest. I didn't have to do anything with PPPoE or anything. The DHCP set it all up. I haven't ever had to mess with it.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

My provider Optimum Online is great for the people with its service, its fast only problem is they block ports, I frequently need to change port numbers for sharing and stuff...

Installinf DSL/Cable is easy. Mostly pluging the wires in going to network and clicking DHCP (mostly) and poof you should have it up and running.

8. maluscanis thread starter macrumors member

9. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Here in NYC, Earthlink is $42/month and you get the first month free! Do you already have Cable TV service, though? Keep in mind that if your place is not wired for cable already, you will have to pay for installation. If you're already paying for Cable TV service than there is usually no installation charge for adding cable modem service. I'm not sure about DSL, though. I know here Verizon DSL offers the first 3 months for $20/month, and I think you have free installation if you do a self-install.

To answer your question whatever G4 you have will have the only thing it needs: an ethernet port. One your Cable or DSL modem is installed you shouldn't have to change any of your network settings - the default settings are right most of the time (though I've heard that some DSL services require more configuration).