Question About Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Espnetboy3, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

I am currently using a 19 inch flat screen not panel View Sonic crt monitor. I have another crt 17inch monitor sitting in my basement. What do I need to buy to be able to hook it up to my computer so I can run two screens for editing?

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

What type of computer do you have?

If it is a tower you may need a second video card. If you post what machine it is we could help you more. :)

3. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry I totally forgot. Its a g4 powermac quicksilver. 733mhz, 1.2gig ram with a geforce 2 twin display. I dont know what this means but it says main display:Yes Mirror: Off Online:Yes
    Any help is apreciated thanks.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...if it is the "twinview" model of the GeForce card then you have everything you need - just plug in the second monitor, open the monitors prefpane and set them how you wish....oh yeah!

5. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

thats great news. Im gonna hook it up tomorrow and see how it is. Ill let you guys know.

6. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Monitors also = Displays. So go to "System Preferences" and select "Displays" from the "Hardware" row.

Hope that helps. :)

8. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya I did that but I didnt notice anything saying two monitors. Although I did check this last night before I hooked up the other monitor. Maybe a new option apears when I plug it in.

9. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok in the back of my computer I have my slot that my current monitor is plugged into. Then right next to it is another slot but its about twice as wide and the two monitors I have tried dont fit into it. Instead of being the same size as the first slot its much wider. Is there an adapter I need to buy? I figured because it says my video card is twin view I would have two slots(although the computer is a few years old) do I need something to connect both monitors into one? Thanks

10. Squareball macrumors regular

It's probably a DVI connector. You need to get a DVI to VGA adapter.

11. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya im going to run up to the apple store tomorrow and pick it up.

12. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

2nd Display auto-detected

That's correct. When you plug in the second display, the system will detect a second display, and then the second display will show up in the preferences. :)

13. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

How much do one of these bad boy adapters cost. Would the apple store be a good place to make this purchase or someplace like staples or best buy?

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

15. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is adc? I mean I have one vga slot on my computer that my monitor is plugged into correct? Wouldnt i just need an adapter like a y plug that makes 1 vga into 2?

16. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

VGA adaptor connector

Oh, no. It does not work like that. Each display must have its own connection to the video card. Hence, the auto-detection of second monitor. If you used a Y-type adaptor, then each screen would display exactly the same thing, which really is not helpful.

ADC is Apple Display Connector. That connector was used on the Power Mac G4 models.

Your video card probably has one VGA connection and one ADC connection. So to connect a second VGA display, you must get an ADC to VGA adaptor. Check this link for a ADC to VGA connector from the Apple Online Store. Call your local Apple Store to see if they have one in stock. Or check your local computer retailer.

Hope that helps. :)

17. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a ton sacear im gonna call up tomorrow and get this monitor hooked up.

18. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

19. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Call Apple Store

So this is your set-up?
    Is your computer a Power Mac G4 800 DP (model M8361)? Or is that the card you have?

Well, I know Belkin also makes a similar product. Apple carried it before, but it's not on their web store now. Maybe it is still in the walk-in Apple Stores. Give your local Apple Store a call tomorrow and tell them what you want to do. They ought to be able to get you working the way you want.

Many others have connected two VGA displays to their Power Mac G4 computers before and are surely still doing so now. Anyone else out there have any tips for Espnetboy3?

20. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

21. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Not to pirate the thread or anything....

But I've got two monitors installed (20" cinema+NTSC monitor). Is it possible to install a video card in my G5 in one of the PCI slots to allow a third and fourth monitor? Do they even make PCI video cards?

22. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

PCI video cards

Yes, and yes.

I know ATi makes some. Here's one.

23. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

more ADC to VGA adaptors

Try these links to more ADC to VGA adaptors:

AddLogix

Griffin Technology

24. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

go into system profiler, if your graphics card is labled as a geforce 2 and has 32MB vram it cant do dual displays, if it has 64MB vram it can.

25. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

It says it is 64. Hers a pic

Attached Files: