Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
I'm not sure if all of you guys have noticed this or not, but with the purchase of OS X 10.4, you will be able to gain access to an online seminar which will teach about the new features and getting the most out of Tiger. My question is, do you guys think that the OS is becoming more complex and Apple feels the need to educate users on how to use the features? I know we don't actually have the OS yet (but we will in just 8 days!!) so its not really possible to tell if this is Apple's reason for putting out the seminar. And for clarification, when I said that the "OS is becoming more complex," I don't mean from an "under-the-hood" point of view, because the OS is becoming more complex, obviously. I meant from a user's point of view. Or maybe this is just Apple's way of wanting users to actually use the new features instead of simply using the internet on their Mac. Just curious what everyone thinks. Thanks for your time!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i think the seminars are there more for the switchers and people who may be unfamilar with OS X and the way in which it evolves, they are good for the people who are afraid to explore the OS on their own, its probably a good step

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
PlaceofDis said:
i think the seminars are there more for the switchers and people who may be unfamilar with OS X and the way in which it evolves, they are good for the people who are afraid to explore the OS on their own, its probably a good step

Probably also a good way to build excitement around new features -- how many features does a new version of Windows or MacOS or any other operating system have, that the vast majority of users don't know how to use? Those features are useless from a marketing standpoint. So this is good for that. Early adopters can sometimes be effective marketers to lead into the main wave of adoption.

I'm shocked at how many people under thirty don't know how to search for a file by name in Windows. We have grad students in my program who complain to profs about new software because they save their file in whatever default folder the app selects, and then cannot find it again. I'd understand if they were fifty five and hadn't grown up with computers, but these are 130 IQ twenty-somethings... Gimme a break.

So anyways, </rant>, improving those users' ability a little bit makes the OS look so much better.

Imagine how much better Windows would look if the average user knew how to use it in such a way that adware and spyware was a non-issue! Which we all do!

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Well I thin it is because more and more people are switching and therefore they are offering more services ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.