question about education discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simondfer, Oct 21, 2006.

1. simondfer macrumors newbie

hey I just graduate from college, anyway I can use my student ID to buy a macbook online? it seems okey to enter my old student ID online. do you think they can call our college and confirm my ID? I didn't make the order anyway. if they do confirm my ID, I will let my college classmate to do it for me.

one more question, do we pay tax for the refurbished macbook? thanks.

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

1. If you're no longer a student, you no longer qualify for the student discount. Why do people always post questions about how to get around this?

2. Yes, tax is still charged on refurbs.

and btw, there's no extra student discount for refurbs, so if that's what you're looking at, no need to worry about cheating the student-discount system.

3. vega07 macrumors 65816

the online store doesn't ask for student identification. it just asks for the school you go to.

4. simondfer thread starter macrumors newbie

I am so sorry let you mad:eek: , I just want a macbook and save a little money. My friends are willing to help me even they must check ID. anyway, thank you for your reply.

5. simondfer thread starter macrumors newbie

they asked to enter my ID, any 'ID' I guess. :D I might consider to buy apple care since I can save a little money. still thinking:confused: $200 extra, worth it or not. :confused: one year warranty looks enough.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep, it gets tiring.

As you, I always wonder why folks try to get around the system. Integrity is something that no one can take away from you. Only you can give it away.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah the I encountered the same thing when I ordered my iMac.

8. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

hey get the best price you can. you were just a STUDENT, so im sure if you need to you can borrow a friends student id

9. vega07 macrumors 65816

I don't find it ABSOLUTELY giving away his integrity.

10. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Let's try this...

According to my legally obtained student discounted powerbook and the Dictionary widget...

Integrity is - the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

Ok so he's lying to apple about his student status to deceive them into giving him a discount on a product he does not qualify for in terms of the discount. I'd have to say that is giving away your integrity. Thanks for trying though.

I hope they catch him in the act. That'd be a real treat.

11. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Are you done?

*wheels out soapbox*

12. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

It is fraud no matter which way you turn it ladies and gentlemen. I think its pretty disgusting that you guys are even comfortable enough to openly discuss something that is a) illegal and b) immoral on a public forum. They do indeed do audits on these sales to check for validity. So you say youll have a friend do it for you and you feel justified that that is the best way to go. "Well no sire I didnt steal cash out of your register. My friend works there I had him take it out for me." Ya know .. your right .. that does sound better. Just go mowa few more lawns and earn what you want through labor and not fraud.

Kevin

13. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Ok ok, I get you - but;

1) Give the Guy a break - he WAS a student and if he was clever enough, he would have brought his stuff before the end of the year which wasn't that long ago. What real difference does 3 months make?

2) Apple do make a handsome profit on these units. I've purchased EDU discount for my parents when I didn't take advantage of the Desktop unit per year deal. They saved like £30.00 but it was the thing that made them switch and that translates into lots of purchases for future equipment.

3) Get over yourself. You're a bit preaching to the choir. Most of us are legitimate users - but c omputers cost a ton. Why NOT save yourself $50 or so dollars if you can.

4) If Apple were really concerned about substantial lost revenue, they would install tougher security - but they're not. Why? Because most people after an educational discount are in college/school etc, or have just finished and have no money. Basically, the younger demographic. Apple knows that they'll keep using Macs later on in life, and again this translates to more income.

14. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The difference is that he is no longer paying for tuition, books, lab fees... the difference is he's now working full time, making money.. the difference is that he is no longer a STUDENT... ?

My grandpa was a student too, once upon a time.. does he deserve the student discount, as well? :rolleyes:

15. simondfer thread starter macrumors newbie

hey, I am the one who go to the jail for save 50 bucks. :( pray for me when I face the death penalty.

dear xfiftyfour, I will remember your word in heaven or hell.

16. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

No need to be a sarcastic jerk about it. What you are doing is wrong. If you are fine with being dishonest, go for it. No one here is stopping you.

I don't know why you asked. You know it is wrong. You are not a student and the discount requires that you are currently a student. Pretty cut and dry. Were you seeking moral support from the other dishonest people here? Ha. :rolleyes:

17. jamone80 macrumors regular

i agree with that. i'm a student, bought my macbook as a student, yet they never asked me for verification. apple is not stupid when it comes to these types of things...apple is more concerned about getting their products in the hands of us young consumers in order to build loyalty to their products for years to come...

imo they just use our school information for their market research, trying to understand which products are more popular in a certain regions, schools, etc..thats prolly why i'm hooked on macs, he he. :p

18. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I have a feeling if Grandpa xfiftyfour ever tried it he'd never hear the end of it. You really need to lighten up, your taking this morality police thing a bit to far. As Maxiseller brought up there is a reason Apple is lax about its enforcement of the policy. They realize that by doing so they increase their chance of developing a life long customer. Is it dishonest, yes it is, but then so is doing 60 mph in a 55 mph zone. As to no longer being a student, true he no longer has to pay tuition or books, but its likely he has some student loans to pay off.

19. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Is that to say that im not allowed HE discount even though Apple has offered me it over the phone?

However, I am a student at Lincoln College. Still doesnt mean Im entitled HE discount.

20. simondfer thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I just ask if they do call them to check my SID. If so, I'll let my friend to do it, else, I will do it by myself. just 50 bucks, what a big deal? You don't care about 50 dollars coz you don't have to.but what i am thinking is, should I buy the 20GB extra hard disk for extra 55 bucks.

I am working part time, delivery pizza. no support from my parents. and I want to save some money for university study. owning apple laptop is my dream, I can't afford it when I was in college. if anyone want to talk about morality, there are hundreds of people never pay tips. maybe you are one of them. one guy driving a bentley Arnage told me to keep a quarter change,but I throw it on the table, you keep it. I think that guy don't need a education discount.

21. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Nice way to judge buddy. Maybe instead of trying to buy an Apple laptop you should get your priorities in order.

I have no support from my parents, I pay for school myself and then I buy the things I need/want.

Where is the rule that says you have to pay tips? Thats right there isnt one. With that said I usually leave a 30% tip, because I was a server I know how it is. So please save me crap.

It doesnt matter who does or does not need an education discount. Heck maybe he uses it because he is a STUDENT (i dont really know if he is, just pointing out that he could be).

Fact remains you are not a student. Abusing the system could jeapordize it for others, which for you, should be equivalent to not leaving someone a tip. It seems you eat from the morality buffet where you can pick and choose.

22. seabass069 macrumors regular

Maxiseller, I am sure that you drive the speed limit too. A person of high integrity like yourself would never break the law by speeding. RIGHT!! Lighten up. I would do the same thing. If it was me, I would still use my school ID. If it works, more power to ya. If they decline it, use your buddies. Apple still makes money of the education discount anyways. Apple I'm sure could care less. It is far more important that simondfer gets an Apple vs. by something else, like a windows machine. PEACE!

BE A MAN and JOIN THE US MILITARY, IT'S YOUR DUTY AS AN AMERICAN.

23. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I'm not out looking for other people's faults, but when a person comes to a public forum asking how to get around the rules, then yeah, I'm going to voice my opinion about it.

And sorry, but I think we have different definitions of dishonest. He's lying by saying he's a student. Who am I lying to when I go 5 over the speed limit? Bad analogy.

I don't expect or suggest that everyone follows every rule out there, but this guy's a joke if he thought no one was going to say anything against his plan.

And I could give a rat's a$$ that he has student loans to pay off. Yeah, don't we all (I'm racking 'em up myself). It's his choice to waste a degree by working at a pizza joint making squat. Sounds to me like his priorities need a little straightening.

24. simondfer thread starter macrumors newbie

you lying to goverment, rules they made. :) just kidding, let's stop this topic please. Peace ;)

25. shecky Guest

shecky

considering how easy it is to police edu discounts (go to academicsuperstore.com for example) it makes you wonder why apple chooses not to.

maybe its because they are smart enough to offer the edu discount AND still make money on their products.

in fact............. MAYBE they are perfectly aware that people use the edu discount who are technically not allowed to and yet apple allows it because of the increase in sales it brings in.

i have been nailed to the cross on this forum for stating this opinion before, and thats fine with me: if apple wanted to stop illegitimate use of the edu discount, they would do so, and quite easily. since they do not, as far as i am concerned, use it if you want to. worst case is, you pay the difference. best case is, you saved some money. even better case is, you saved some money AND pissed off some of the holier-than-thous on here.