Question about educational discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by prostuff1, Jul 29, 2005.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I know i am going to be getting something apple, originally a powerbook, but now i am not sure.

I found this on apples website:

Purchase Quantity
    Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Laptop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
    Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
    iPod: One (1) per iPod family (iPod, iPod mini, iPod Shuffle 1GB, iPod Photo) may be purchased per academic year (Note: there is no quantity limitation on iPod Shuffle 512MB)
    iSight: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

I hope i am reading i right because if i am that meens i can by an iMac and a ibook instead of just a powerbook. So am i reading it right?? Can i buy an iMac and an iBook under educational discount??

If so i will i also get two ipod minis free?? (i don`t think so but i thought i would ask you guys)

If this is the case i will probably buy a stock 12in iBook and a superdrive iMac. That way i can use the iMac to do all the heavy stuff and the iBook i can take to class.

The other option i have is to buy a a 15in powerbook upgrade with the 128mb VRAM, downgrade to a combo then buy an external HD and Double layer DVD.

So what sounds better?? I will be starting a computer engingeering degree in the fall in case that makes any difference.

With the math i have done so far it looks like the 2 computer option is a little more expensive, which i guessed it would be. But in the end it is almost the same because of the extras i would buy for the powerbook; i.e. the burner and external HD. I did the math and i came up with about a 330 US dollar difference before tax.

So, for 330 dollars is it worth it to get two computer??
    With the math i have done so far it looks like the 2 computer option is a little more expensive, which i guessed it would be. But in the end it is almost the same because of the extras i would buy for the powerbook; i.e. the burner and external HD. I did the math and i came up with about a 330 US dollar difference before tax.

So, for 330 dollars is it worth it to get two computer??

Thanks in advance and advice would be appreciated.

2. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Yeah, I'd say go with the two-Mac option without a doubt. Having the power of a G5 at home and the convenience of a less-powerful laptop is generally preferable, IMO. That's effectively the set up that I work with.

3. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Wow. I have asked this on a couple different mac forums and just about everyone says go for the two computer option. I really was not considering it until the updates and then they made airport built-in. I wanted to be able to walk around the house and use it but i also need some of the power from a powerbook for what i wanted to do on it. No with the updates i can get a low end laptop and a G5 for roughly the same price.

Thanks for the input keep it coming

4. Vster macrumors 6502

I agree with Dunepilot, same setup and loving it. I actually had a Ti PowerBook (used more like a desktop). I sold it to get my new setup just because I love the iBook's portability and the two-finger scrolling is really fun! And the iMac is just awesome! :D

5. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

i know the iMacs a great. I convinced my dad to buy one for the family not to long ago. I also convinvesed him to max out the ram to 2 gigs and the thing flys. The iMac really is overkill for what we use it for. I do some gaming on it but besdies that not to much.

Know i have to figure out how to do tihs ordering thing. I am planning on getting the iPod mini (hopefully 2 if i order seperatly) sending in the rebate and then selling one to my sister for a decent price and then one to a friend. I already have an iPod mini that i will also be selling and then buying a 20GB iPod, maybe a 30GB iPod Photo. I have it all worked out...i think.

6. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Yup!

According to the rebate coupon (PDF link) that lists the full terms and conditions, there is no mention of one per person. But it does say "Each coupon submission is limited to one redemption claim"; however, that refers to the fact that a person buying two qualifying products can't just send in one form to get two iPod mini rebates.

So it sounds like you're all set! Enjoy those Macs.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*looks down at my sig for the second time this morning* *looks back up*

Definitely the two computer thing. I got my PB a year before I got my iMac-- now I know that I don't need the power of my PB, wish I had an iBook instead (pssst, it even matches better!) :D

8. Shasta macrumors member

After doing the one mac thing for 2 years, I also, as many people probably know by now :D, have an iBook on the way. Having the power is great for the Audio editing I do, and the occasional video and photoshop my G5 PM is a champ... but I hated being tethered to my desk

SO! DO IT! get both and enjoy!

Shasta

9. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

If I'm not mistaken, the cheapest education iBook is a CD-ROM model (no DVD capability)...

Make sure you at least get a combo drive! So much software for Macs comes on DVDs...

Also, price in a 1GB stick of RAM for the iBook and 2 sticks for the iMac (from OWC or someone else cheap) - it'll be around $350 for all the RAM.

Then you will really be able to enjoy your setup!

-RS

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Apple dropped that model w/ this revision.

11. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I was definantly going to get the Combo drive. and i did price out max ram for both machines. It cam to about $310 for all the ram. a 1GB strip for the iBook and 2 1GB strips for the Mac. And the best place to buy memory is Newegg.com. They have great prices and a great customer service ( i know from experience)

With the math i have done it comes to 3255 (before tax) for the iBook and iMac. It comes to 2927 (before tax) for the PB and extras (exterhal 160GB HD and double layer DVD burner)

Thanks for the input so far

And to MacHarne: so what i would have to do is send in the rebate and whatever they ask for for both iPod minis?? Like both UPC codes and so on?? i hope i am understanding this right!

Thanks

12. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Check the earlier PDF rebate coupon link for exact details, but I presume it will be an identical procedure to the $100 student discount rebate that lasted until June 25th. Acquire the machine before such & such a date; copy the receipt (if online purchase, then print out a new copy); cut the entire UPS sticker off of the box (must go through all of the layers of cardboard that it is stuck to); fill out rebate coupon; send it in, with correct postage. I got my $100 rebate back in only about 3 or 4 weeks. In your case, you follow the same procedure but repeat it for the second machine.

13. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

OK, Thanks a lot for the info. Thats what i needed to see!!