Question about Egypt

Discussion in 'Community' started by iJon, Aug 9, 2004.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Ok, your probably thinking wow another iJon travel thread :).

Well my tour company called me today and said they had to cancel my trip to Thailand cause only 3 people signed up. I was dissapointed but they did inform me that they are working on an egypt trip that they only need 6 people to go. this for right after christmas so i said sign me up. So i put my deposit from thailand on that trip.

Now my parents went ape s*** about going to the middle east. My dad there is no way that I am going and saying that is were all the hate is and all that stuff cause of the Iraq war I assume.

What I want to know is anyone is familiar with Egypt and if it's as bad as my dad is saying it is. I don't think it is but I also haven't done my research, which I will. I honest don't think the biggest tour company in the world would take six students if they thought they were in harm. The guy who I talked to goes to Egypt twice a year and says it is full of the nicest people and is just wonderful.

Now I do respect my parents cause they do pay for my house, tuition, my car, food, probably everything that a human needs. This trip is one thing that I will be paying for myself and I will probably piss them off royally and catch that plane without telling them. the results will probably be bad but I will be 19 when this trip goes on so I won't feel to bad. Please provide some imput, whether it be our relations with Egypt or how incredibly stupid I am.

iJon

2. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

While I can't talk specifically about any experiences in Egypt, you should be aware that tourism is a HUGE industry there so it is a pretty safe region to be in. In addition there really haven't been all that many terror issues in Egypt and no major ones I can think of in the past few years.

My best advice, do some research, find a tourism message board, reassure yourself. PersonallY i'd jump at the chance, i'd love to see Egypt.

3. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

yeah, i have been reading a lot today and everything is positive. now i would like to convince my parents, because i would hate knowing my ass is going to be handed to me on the plane ride home for leaving without their approval.

iJon

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Even in the height of war Egypt was doing a pretty decent tourism business, it's picked up a lot since then. Find some online papers from Cairo, show your dad what's making headlines there. Have a good time in an excellent setting.

paul

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nah, it can't be that bad. If it was a risk, even your government would put travel advisories on any Egypt trips, but I'm assuming they haven't.

Just tell them you're Canadian, and you'll be fine. :p

6. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

might do that :). i got pretty good at my "eh's" on my cruise to alaska. i've been doing a lot of reading tonight and everything has been great reviews. even a friend I talk to "kwijbo", his friend just got back from egypt and said it was fine. even the us goverments site doesn't have any travel warnings up. looks like now i'll just have to put up a fight with my parents, hopefully they won't be to stubborn and listen to what i have to say.

iJon