Question about Entourage, Outlook Express, and transfering mail from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by uv23, Nov 27, 2003.

1. uv23 macrumors 6502

Hi folks. I'm very close now to my PowerBook purchase and switch from PC to Mac but I have a question. I have a ton of email in Outlook Express on my PC that I would really like to transfer over to the Mac. I will be getting Office for the Mac and therefore Entourage and I was wondering if there is an import function that can bring over the contents of my inbox and sent folder? Cheers.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: Question about Entourage, Outlook Express, and transfering mail from PC to Mac

It appears as though Entourage does not import from Outlook Express, but it does import from other email applications. IIRC, Mail can import from Outlook Express. Therefore, the thing to do is to use Mail to import your Outlook Express mail and then import your Mail mail into Entourage.

3. uv23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well thats a strange twist. Guess MS doesn't want their PC users migrating over. :) Ok thanks I'll try it with Mail. Is Mail in Panther just as good as Entourage (is that a blasphemous statement)? If so, I'd be happy to use the built in mail app.

4. David Lundgren macrumors member

My vote is for Panther Mail. It's one of my favorite features. The message threading works great, very well designed. I use my PB all day, every day, as my main work computer for database programming and running my small consultant business.

The iCal calendar is fantastic as well. We keep multiple calendars and all the business to-dos on it. The Find feature almost lets me get rid of our tech support database for clients, it works so well.

I used Eudora and PocoMail on my Windows computer before I got my PB after I wanted something more than Outlook. I particularly liked PocoMail, which a lot of people have never heard of - but the Mac OS stuff beats it as far as I'm concerned.

And to be fair to Microsoft, I have to throw them a huge thanks for their Remote Desktop software for the Mac. Lets me work on W2000 servers over VPNs without any other software whatsoever.

I'm a very happy switcher, especially since I used and loved Macs all through the middle 90s before business needs took me over to Windows.