Question about Entourage

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by scottdg, Nov 5, 2002.

1. scottdg macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2002
    Let me start by saying that I am not a "MAC Person". I am the admin for our company and I am trying to install a new MAC for our communications department. She installed Office X and is using Entourage as her e-mail client. We set up her Internet options in system preferences and went into Entourage to set up an account. I need to set it up to connect to an Exchange server. I set up an IMAP account and was having trouble connecting to the IMAP server. I then replaced the IMAP server name with the IP address and was able to connect. The problem is the user is stil receiving error messagessaying things such as "enexpected data encountered" with an error code 17997. She can then receive the e-mail but it is sometimes seeveral minutes after it has arrived.

I also know that there is a way to set up a schedule for mail to be sent and delivered. It seems as she can send e-mail and I will receive it almost instantly but e-mail sent to her address takes a while and sometimes does not appear until she goes to send and receive. I would like to bypass that step if possible.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Or point me in the direction where I can get my question answered.

2. theranch macrumors 6502

Jan 3, 2002
    Atlantic City area

To set up time to send and receive look under the "Tools" menu then the item at the top of the list is "Run Schedule"...roll over that and it will display a sub menu. At the bottom of that menu it says "Edit Schedules" is in there where you can set the time to check for messages.
    I can't help you with the exchange server right now because I'm no longer on one but was in the past and it worked fine.
    For other tips you can go here:
    Entourage X

3. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    As far as your IMAP settings go, you should know the address like such:

To stay connected to the server, go to Tools>Accounts>Options(tab). See attached image.

Attached Files:

4. rjrufo macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2002
    What version on Entourage?

I looked at the image you posted, but it doesn't match my account settings window. What version of Entourage are you using? Mine is v.10.1.1.
  5. al256 macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2001
    Re: Question about Entourage

Well you don't have to be a mac person but IF your a legal person and actually bought Office X you can always try calling MS tech support.;EN-US;INCIDENTSUBMIT&SD=GN&LN=EN-US&

link to phone numbers^

And finally always try the updates which can be found at
  6. scottdg thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for the suggestions. Although the thought of having to call M$ is more than I can stand. I am keeping that as a last resort. I will check those options though. I dont know how I missed that.
  7. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA

I hear that the Latest version of exchange does not work with Enterage. MS says that the next verion of Enterage will work with it... or at least thats what I remember... sounds like you might have to call MS tech suport ... ewww...

8. jvaska macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2002
  9. scottdg thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks everyone. It was working for a while but I am having problems again. I set up a second client in my office and it worked fine for two days. As soon as I moved it to her desk she could not send or receive mail. I am giong to set them all up to use the Mac mail client and they will experiement with Outlook Express if they choose. The only thing the don't like about OE and other mail clients is that they will be forced to run under OS9.

Maybe somebody can explain something to me. If OSX has been out for so long (somebody told me for over a year now). Why do so many vendors not have updated software for it? She has a scanner that has software that could not be installed under OSX. And now this with the mail client. Granted PCs have their own problems but usually by now I would be able to get drivers and software that will run on the latest version of Windows.
  10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    A very good question, that we'd all like answers to from the slacking 3rd party developers.