Question about .exe file

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by xiaoxu5101, Aug 28, 2003.

1. xiaoxu5101 macrumors member

When I download stuff, sometime I will get some .exe file, but they couldn't open. Is .exe file format only for PC. Is there any way that I can open and read them on OS X without any trouble? Thanks a lot!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

An .exe is a Windows only executable, the only way it can be opened on a Mac is via Virtual PC with a Windows OS installed.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The exe is also a self extracting zip file, similar to the Mac's .sea files. I believe that StuffIt can handle them, but I may be wrong.

TEG

4. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Nope you're not wrong. Some .exe's will decompress with Stuffit. However most are windows executibles (Applications basically)

The great thing about not being able to run .exe's is that we dont fall prey to any evil self installing spyware/dialer software.

5. xiaoxu5101 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot. I guess I can't open exe file at least I install the Virtual PC. However, I am unable to install the Virtual PC because my mac doesn't meet the requirement. My mac is only 400MHz, it doesn't meet the 500MHz requirement on the Virtual PC.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Is that the minimal requirement or the recommended?

I bet it would work on 400 MHz. But don't take my word for it. Or use an older version. Get a version with windows 98 or 2000. Don't get one with XP. Trust me, I'm using it right now.... :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

scem0

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh geez, you're not gonna be happy running VPC at 400Mhz for sure. I'm not thrilled with it at 1Ghz and 1Gig of RAM!