Question about fast user switching...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nospleen, Jan 10, 2006.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I was watching the keynote and I noticed that Steve switched between profiles without entering a password? I did not know that this was possible. I searched all around in system preferences, but I could not find a way to do it. I hate having to enter my password all the time after my wife logs in. Does anyone know how to do this?

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

You have to remove the password on your account. That's the only way of doing it.

3. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

4. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Nevermind, figured it out. Scccchhhhwweeeeeeeeeeeeeet...:D

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Just go into system prefs > accounts. There will be an option to change password. Put in your old password, then leave the new password blank = password removed.

6. howesey macrumors 6502a

7. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Remember that this also applies at the initial login screen, so anyone with access to the computer can log in to your account.

If this isn't a problem, then no worries, but if you have personal files & folders, you may want to consider encrypting these separately (using FileVault, or password protected disk images)

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

This is why I have a password - to keep my family away from my account, I just know they'd break everything and change all my settings grrrr. I was kind enough to set up a guest account for them though.

9. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I really don't have much of a need for a password. I would leave it on if I owned a portable. Speaking of portables, I want a MacBook Pro...:eek:

10. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Well that's fine then. I wouldn't have one if it wasn't for the family (that's really mean in a way :eek: ).

11. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Not really, I know what you mean. My kids are 2 and 3 and my mac is in an armoire. But, in a few years, I am sure they will open the armoire and goof around on the mac. Then, I will definitely add the password back. :D

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Those parental controls might actually come in handy.

13. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

i was playing around with a new account and setting it up and its amazing how much parental control u have. and each account has its own disk space.

XP is so crap compared. they either get limited where u cant do crap or u get admin and they can do as they please.

<3's OSX