Question about Firefox's sideways scroll w/ the Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by johnbro23, Aug 13, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

When I scroll sideways with my Mighty Mouse, its like pressing the back and forward buttons. But its way too sensitive. When I scroll vertically, sometimes I might scroll one "click" to the left and it will go back one page. Is there any way to set it up, so it takes, say, 5 "clicks" of scrolling to get to the last page?

System Prefs doesn't seem to effect it, even if I put scrolling at the slowest speed.

Any ideas? Anyone else have the same problem?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

EDIT: Never mind... I kind of misunderstood. If you want back/forward functionality mapped this way, then I don't think there's much you can do about the speed if system scroll speed doesn't help. Oops. :(

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Doesnt firefox have its own little scroll speed thing?

4. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, nothing that I could find.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm sorry, I'm still confused... you know, a lot of people (myself included) complained that FF uses horiz. scrolling as page forward / back, instead of horizontal scrolling within the window.

If you changed it so your mighty mouse scrolled horizontally in the window when you pressed sideways, would that be better or worse than having it go too fast page back/forwards?

Because that is easily doable.

6. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would be good. I've been using the mouse with horizontal scrolling off (in sys prefs) but I'd like to have it on for other programs. Where in Firefox preferences can I turn horizontal scrolling off?

7. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I love MacFixit.
    Here's how you do it. In the address bar (in Firefox), type in:
    about:config (not http://about:config) and then press return.

It will take you to a config/preference page.
    Scroll down until you find the specific item, mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action and double click it.
    It should have a value of 2, but change it to 0. Close that page and you are set. It now works for me without doing the back/forward functions. :D