Question about G4 powerbook harddrive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cable, Feb 27, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2005
    I've had a g4 powerbook since they came out in 03.

I have a 12' with a 60gb harddrive.

I notice now the newer versions offer 100 gb harddrives.

Can I upgrade to a newer larger harddrive?

Is this something I can buy from a website, and install myself?

any help will do thanks
  2. macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...In theory, yes you can upgrade the hard drive yourself...but whether you should depends on how comfortable (and competent) you are working inside a laptop. Doing it yourself will of course void any AppleCare warranty you may have. If you want to see what is involved, have a look at this article at and see for yourself - they list it as for "advanced" users....oh yeah!
  3. macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT

It's possible, but why don't you just get an external harddrive? There are so many portable ones out there. This might be the safest way to go.
  4. macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    You can get the instruction from google to upgrade your harddrive. considering your have a 12" it is sorta a pain.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    please get a apple certified tech to do it
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2005
    well I already have a 180gb external drive.

I want an internal because I'm constantly deleting things to add new things in my iTunes or wherever.

I have 55gb of disc space on this 12inch, and I want an ipod with 60 gigs or so and I cant really do that.

I have a friend whos an apple tech who will help me, i don't really care about apple care since mine is almost up.

Does anyone know the LARGEST size internal hard drive i can get for this 12 inch powerbook??

if so can you link me to one i can buy?

7. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    Silly Question, but why don't you move your iTunes library to the External HD?

The largest HD for a laptop right now is 100GB, I believe.

Here is one possibility.

I guess there is a new 120GB drive mentioned on the board.