question about G5?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twoodcc, Nov 16, 2005.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm sure this has been asked somewhere, but here it goes:

what does G5 (or G4, G3, etc) mean?

sorry, i just switched to apple this year (have a mini and powerbook now) and i've been wondering that since i got into apple.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

3. Frisco macrumors 68020

4. coconn06 macrumors regular

They are marketing terms for the different processors that Apple puts in their computers. The "G" stands for "Generation" technically. So G3 is generation 3, etc. However these names are somewhat vague and are for marketing purposes only (they don't actually refer to the specific chip. The original G5 chip was actually the IBM PPC 970, which Apple code-named G5). Usually Apple doesn't change the "generation" unless there is a big advancement in the processor itself, like from G3->G4, and G4->G5.

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the links and reply. so G5 = Generation 5?

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yep. As others have said, the term is rather loosely applied. The first two generations of PowerPC CPUs (which include the PowerPC 601/603/604 and the 603e/604e) were not referred to as G1 and G2, though the terms are occasionally used retrospectively by Mac users.

The G5 is the fifth distinct iteration of the PowerPC CPU as used in Macs. Outside the Apple world it would be referred to by its "proper" name, the PowerPC 970.