Question about GLOD (Green Light of Death) and upgrading an iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by applekid, Feb 16, 2004.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I'm planning on upgrading my good ol' Bondi Blue iMac with more RAM, a new 10 GB 7200rpm HD, and install Panther. I'm going to leave it in my room and use it for the internet and school work.

Unfortunately, my iMac has also been suffering from the GLOD. Luckily for me, it doesn't rear its ugly head too often. It may happen about only 1/10th of the time when I put the iMac to sleep.

I have a couple of questions about GLOD.

- Has Apple acknowledged the problem?
    - Will they replace it for free, if Apple has acknowledged it?
    - If they haven't, how much will getting my iMac repaired cost?

I have an iMac G4 as well, so getting a repair for the Bondi Blue isn't mandatory, but I would just like to know how much I have to spend to fix the small problem.

I would also like to know where I could find instructions on replacing the iMac's HD. I couldn't find anything trustworthy.
  2. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Re: Question about GLOD (Green Light of Death) and upgrading an iMac

Apple sort of, kind of, maybe aknowledges the problem on rev A and Rev B iMacs (233 mhz iMacs), at least if you talk to the mods on the apple discussions forums they kind of sort of have a couple of times in the past. nothing official though.

Apple will not fix the problem for you for free.

Fixing it can vary. You can get replacement analog boards if yous earch around or salvage one. They run something like 130 bucks, but then you got to have the knowledge to put it it, which I'm sure is a bit tricky.

for replacing the ahrd drive, see and macworld also had a great visual site for showing how to do it, except that they said 7200 rpm drives are too hot (which is bull, they are fine) I would also recommend checking out the apple discussion forums, as the upgrade comes up there like 3 times a day and lots of information and people's experiences have been shared Thats where I got the link, made by a contributor there who I definiltey trust)
  3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I put a 7200RPM drive in my mom's iMac and it's fine. Certainly not too hot. To install OS X, make sure you have the most recent firmware and then partition that new drive. OS X has to live within the first 8GB on that machine.

I've never heard of this, so what is the green light of death?
  4. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    When the iMac powers down (either during a restart, shut down, or sleep), the little power button is supposed to light up orange, switch to green, and then the monitor should slowly turn on. Unfortunately, something with the analog board is wrong and creates a problem where the light goes directly to green and the monitor never turns on. Turn it off and the green light still stays on. So you have to unplug the iMac or turn on and off your surge protector and turn on the iMac again.