Question about graphix cards

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by totally_fly, Dec 12, 2002.

1. totally_fly macrumors member

I have a 733 G4 (Not quicksilver) and I want to update some of its components.
    Mainly, I want to add 1 gig of ram (to max it out) and get the NVidia FX card when it is available. I have been saving up, so I do have the money, but are these good choices? How much of a boost am I going to see under Jag with QE? Has anyone done something like this and been happy, angry, dissapointed?

Thanx for the input, also any other hints on how I can eek out more performance (with upgrades) would be appreciated.

-totally_fly

2. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

I have a feeling that it will be a long time before we get a mac version of the geforce fx. It is not even out for PCs yet. Also, the way it is designed with the intake and exhaust wouldnt work on the MDD models because the PCI slots are on the wrong side of the AGP slot relative to every other motherboard out there.

Also, I believe your computer already runs quartz extreme, so you wont see too much of a difference. If you are just looking to speed up the GUI, I dont think a graphics card will do it. Your best bet in a GPU is the geforce4, as it is already out, and on sale many places, ive seen it as low as $280. In your case, I think a CPU upgrade would be better, either a dual 800 dual ghz, or maybe a single ghz chip. Happy upgrading.

3. Draft macrumors 6502

Before I waited to buy the GeForce FX, I'd compare specs between the Radeon 9700 pro and the FX on the PC side first. Because of the way that the 9700 handles memory, it may be faster then the FX chip. Also, ATI already has a DDR2 card in development which would further increase the speed of their cards.

As for RAM, do some price comparisons. Between macsales.com, pricewatch.com, and dealram.com you should be able to find an excellent price on RAM.

Hope this helps,
    Draft

4. Bradcoe macrumors regular

No way

There is no way that the Radeon 9700 pro is faster than the GeForce FX. 9700 pro may be close in a select few areas, but not faster.

5. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Re: No way

but you have to face it that ATI is now the name in GPU. Nvidia lost its crown.

Tyler

6. totally_fly thread starter macrumors member

Thanx for the input guys. I think my money would be best spent on ram for the moment. In the meanwhile, I will wait for the second generation of the next powermac type to come out (ibm, those mot g4s). I think if I max out specs on that machine, I will be a much happier camper than just buying a graphics card. Oh well.. ill have to stick with my old 733 for a while. (Can't wait for a dual!)

-totally_fly

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: No way

whatever, nvidia has had the top for a long time. once the fx comes ati wil be back to the drawing boards. the 9700 barely beats the 4600.

iJon

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i highly doubt this. Apple has always gotten the newest nvidia cards before everyone else. doesnt really matter because games suck on macs in general. If we see new powermacs in january i bet that they will have the fx as an option. Just look at the GF4 Ti. We had it before the pc , although they didnt ship for a long time. ATI are the ones that always port their cards late.

iJon

9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

the gig of ram will definently help out with doing general stuff

anybody know if a quadro would make quartz run faster?