Question about H.264

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macaddicttt, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

So, I hear it's a great new codec that will really improve the quality of video chats in iChat. My only question is, how will the new version of iChat affect my ability to have video chats with PC users? Won't PC users need some sort of updated AIM that handles H.264? Or will the new version of iChat be able to use the old codec, too? Maybe I should wait until some people actually have Tiger and test it out, but I'd be interested to hear some initial thoughts on the matter.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. IIRC H.264 is a QT7 component that should be available for Panther and Windows, so maybe all they will have to do is upgrade to QT7 once it's publicly available.

3. Macaddicttt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Judging by the lack of responses, I guess I should just wait until someone actually gets their hands on a copy of Tiger and tries it out. Or can a developer say anything about this, or do they have to wait until Tiger is actually available to say anything?

4. Logik macrumors 6502a

AIM doesn't use quicktime from what i understand, so just installing quicktime 7 on a pc will not work. in all likelihood it will switch to the old codec and use that instead of H. 264, then use H. 264 for all iChat (Tiger) users.