Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malikk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Hello,
I am sick of watching current episodes of shows (off of hulu or other random internet media sites) off of my computer for xyz reasons. Now I was looking into internet media streamers, that also let you hook up an external hard drive or wirelessly can access them. I currently have a WDTV but have been fiddling with boxee on my computer. I do not have the currency to pay for 200-300 dollar internet media streamer/extenral storage media center at the moment.

So, I was wondering if any home theatre techies, A) either had a better solution than hooking up my computer to my tv, as that creates another problem of not being able to use my computer or B) Could just simply tell me how to hook up my computer for now, until I am able to get the boxee box or anything like that. I have a macbook. I believe it is the 2010 version. It comes with the mini-dvi port. Now I'm sure I have the mini-dvi - vga adapter that the computer came with somewhere. But, What else would I need to hook up my computer to the tv? Last computer that I hooked up to a tv was using the s-video system. Which I obviously am not able to do now.

Thanks for your input! And please feel free to ask questions if I have explained anything really poorly.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV

Btw, all Unibody MacBook (Pro)s (since 10/2008) come with a Mini DisplayPort as video-out port, mini DVI has been abandoned since then on all other Macs too.

And as far as I know, Apple does not put any video adapters into its Mac boxes anymore, since 2006 at least.

Apple DVI to VGA Display Adapter
M8754_AV3

Apple DVI to Video Adapter
M9267_AV3

Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter
M9321_AV3

Apple Mini DVI to VGA Adapter
M9320_AV3

Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter
M9319_AV3

Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
MB572_AV1

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
MB570_AV1

from http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/displays?mco=MTY1NzE0OTY&s=alpha

MonoPrice Mini-DVI to HDMI Adapter
nyfaww.png

MonoPrice Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
mradlj.png

Last edited:

malikk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Thank you for the information!

I knew I was saying the port wrong, but i couldn't remember what it was. Apologies for not thinking and googling it before I wrote the message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.