Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

graln1k

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
I have a core 2 duo 17" MBP and was wondering what some of your experiences have been like running Supreme Commander and Company of Heroes under boot camp.

GraceMolloy

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Kentucky
While I haven't personally played either of them, nearly everything else runs Brilliantly on mine. I play C&C, WoW, BF2, FEAR, etc. I doubt you will have any problems.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Yeah I haven't played either of those games but I can telll you the MacBook Pro is amazing with gaming on Bootcamp. I installed Windows (scary experience) and all my games work under the highest settings (Halo, Max Payne 2, Rainbow Six).

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I would say so.

Then maybe you will be better served with a Macbook + PC combo.

The Macbook Pro isn't fantastic for games, I own a 15" with the 256mb GPU and it chokes on Civilization IV (The Aspyr port) on medium graphics settings. I play Guild Wars via Boot Camp on high and frequently experience graphic lags, to the point that I just get rid of boot camp altogether and gave up on games.

Macs are macs.

If you are not prepared to give up on your recreational software perhaps it is time to reconsider the platform of your choosing?

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
Then maybe you will be better served with a Macbook + PC combo.

The Macbook Pro isn't fantastic for games, I own a 15" with the 256mb GPU and it chokes on Civilization IV (The Aspyr port) on medium graphics settings. I play Guild Wars via Boot Camp on high and frequently experience graphic lags, to the point that I just get rid of boot camp altogether and gave up on games.

Macs are macs.

If you are not prepared to give up on your recreational software perhaps it is time to reconsider the platform of your choosing?

Aspyr has horrible ports. They are all extemely buggy and slow, as proof, i submit their port of KOTOR, which was laggy beyond belief. MacSoft ports are the better ones, as they will play great even under Rosetta.

graln1k

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Well, I tried the Company of Heroes demo and ran the performance test in the video options after turning the graphics down and such. It averaged like 29 fps and looked pretty terrible. I then ran the same test on my pc and averaged 35 fps with many settings on. My PC has an older processor, half the ram, and a x850xt video card.

Shouldn't my 17" MBP C2D be able to outdo it? Are the outdated drivers the issue?

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Wow i'm pretty shocked. I'm not sure what exactly is causing the problem since i don't play that game. I do however play AoE3, WoW, Civ4, StarCraft and all of them (other than SC obviously) are graphic intensive and play in med-high settings with no lag. I have a CD 1.83 MBP so i'm shocked that your more powerful 17" is performing so poorly. I'll run the demo on mine and try and see if i can get it working properly. You're using the latest version of bootcamp right?

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Wow i'm pretty shocked. I'm not sure what exactly is causing the problem since i don't play that game. I do however play AoE3, WoW, Civ4, StarCraft and all of them (other than SC obviously) are graphic intensive and play in med-high settings with no lag. I have a CD 1.83 MBP so i'm shocked that your more powerful 17" is performing so poorly. I'll run the demo on mine and try and see if i can get it working properly. You're using the latest version of bootcamp right?

How do you have time to play anything but WoW?!?!?!?!

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
COH runs at a playable fps...not great, but not bad either.

Rainbow Six Vegas runs pretty good too, but everything set to low and at 800x600 res.

WoW isnt graphics intensive at all...32 mb Geforce 2 minimum. haha what a joke..graphics intensive.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Well, I tried the Company of Heroes demo and ran the performance test in the video options after turning the graphics down and such. It averaged like 29 fps and looked pretty terrible. I then ran the same test on my pc and averaged 35 fps with many settings on. My PC has an older processor, half the ram, and a x850xt video card.

Shouldn't my 17" MBP C2D be able to outdo it? Are the outdated drivers the issue?
No. The X850XT is quite a beefy graphics card. Try taking it out and having a look at it... computers may advance quickly, but they can't squeeze something that size into a MBP just yet ;)

Basically no, the MBP shouldn't be able to out-do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.