Question about ibook chargers and energy use

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Meecrob, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Meecrob macrumors member

Meecrob

My school is participating in a month-long challenge to reduce electricity consumption. A claim has been put forth that when the ibook g3/g4 chargers are left plugged in, they heat up and use just as much electricity as when they're charging a computer. Since there are 340+ students at my school and everyone has an ibook, this could represent a significant energy waste. Does anyone have any information on whether or not this claim is true?

2. California macrumors 68040

California

You don't have a science teacher or electronics teacher that can answer that question for you? No? Guess everyone's more interested in social engineering rather than sticking to the facts of readin', writin', 'rithmatic?

The school's challenge should be to young inventors to make energy in better ways, not do the negative thing of making kids feel guilty for using electricity.

(Sorry, it's the college prof in me spouting off.)

Maybe you should just buy electrical strips for the kids so they can just switch off their adapters without having to unplug them. As a matter of fact, Radio Shack has a single plug on/off switch -- I own one for my own second Powerbook adapter near my bed -- that I just switch off when not in use but plugged in. No biggie. Tell your teachers to THINK DIFFERENT...

3. Meecrob thread starter macrumors member

Meecrob

I completely, completely agree with you. The school's current method of turning "greener" mostly involved propeganda, guilt trips, and brainwashing. The "facts" that fly around are almost always unconfirmed and based on hearsay, just as much by teachers as by students. That's mostly the reason for my inquiry. Thanks for your reply.