Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
The screen on my g4 iBook has somehow sunken down and to the left (and twisted very slightly). Although this is a refurb, and only 3 months old - the genius bar won't agree to fix it.

Is it a matter of just straightening out a bar within the hinge? If it is, can I just offer to pay for it to be straightened?

I have anxiety, so I'm constantly sick over the fact that the screen isn't straight - it really needs to be fixed.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Would it be possible to take a nice picture of what you're talking about. I can't really picture it. :(

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I've tried to take pictures before, but it just doesn't show up. The best way I can describe it...

When you're looking at the screen, put both of your hands on the top corners, and push down with your left hand and pull up with your right hand.

I can push up on the left side of the screen and more or less level it out, but it just falls back down after.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
How does your iBook close? Is the lid shifted then as well?

What did the Genius say when you brought it in? I can't believe they did not take care of your issue. Have you talked to an Apple Customer-service rep? That would be my next step.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
The lid does close and latch, and appears to sit fine when closed. When I'm closing it though, you can tell the screen is trying to close a bit off-center.

I just hate that this of course had to happen to me, I just have very serious anxiety, and I'm away from home for two months, so there's nothing I can really do about it.

I'd call Apple but I believe my 90 day phone support is up.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
My iBook fell off my bed and this happened. I just ignore it because it's only noticeable when it's closed.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
go back to the genius bar and ask him again to fix it, if he refuses, ask to see a manager. this is something they should absolutely fix, don't let them get away with not fixing it for you. :cool:

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I guess going back to the genius bar is really the only thing I can do - two months from now. I love the computer, but with the screen bent, I barely even want to use it. Just unfortunate that it happened I guess.

When I went there the first time, he told me that the things are made of magnesium, so they couldn't be bent unless I dropped it - which I didn't. I bought this refurb so this is probably just something I didn't notice right away.

If they refuse to do it under applecare, I'll just pay for it. Any idea how much that is going to cost me?

If I put a pack of gum + a group of notecards below the the left side of the screen, it will level out for the most part. It doesn't fix the slight twisting, but I could live with that if the screen was straight.

There's definitely something wrong if it takes things below a screen to level it out.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
I'm pretty sure there is way to adjust this. If the hinge itself is not bend.

...but if it really bothers you that much have a tech fix it for you...

Take a look at this. It's about 200 bucks to have the hinge replaced.
Link

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Jesus, that's insane. The hinge isn't broken, it just needs to be lifted up on the left side by like 5 degrees and then it would be straight.

jwijioajroaw

Oh well, nothing anyone can do about it now. Thanks guys.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Is there actually a bar in the hinge that can get bent somehow? Or would getting this fixed entail replacing the entire display - which would be why the genius bar "can't see the problem".

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
No help? I know it sounds insane, but I am serious when I say I have anxiety - I have trouble sleeping because of this. I just need to know that it can at least be fixed, whether I have to pay for it or not - I can't use it like this for 2 years, I'll go insane.

nw43

macrumors regular
May 8, 2005
UK
I say take it down to the genius bar again or phone Apple Customer Service, ask to speak to the manager etc if necessary and I think from personal experience (not Apple) they probably will agree to fix it in the end.

Good Luck :)

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
nw43 said:
I say take it down to the genius bar again or phone Apple Customer Service, ask to speak to the manager etc if necessary and I think from personal experience (not Apple) they probably will agree to fix it in the end.

Good Luck :)

I called compusa and they told me, since I don't have applecare (but am under warranty) it would cost 140 dollars JUST TO LOOK AT IT.
Who do they think they are? I look at things every day and I don't charge anyone a dime.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
calebjohnston said:
I have trouble sleeping because of this... I'll go insane.
Relax man, you did buy a refurb iBook and this is a result of that. Now if you do have this much anxiety over it, is there any possibility it is in your head that it is bent? I'm not saying you're making it up, but I can send a pic of my iBook to compare it if you want. But I am not sure how the hinge could be drooping if you (or previous owner) didn't drop it.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Nah, it is off. I measured it. about 1.5 millimeters. (Which is a small amount, but in terms of something being level, it makes a big difference.)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
calebjohnston said:
Nah, it is off. I measured it. about 1.5 millimeters. (Which is a small amount, but in terms of something being level, it makes a big difference.)

Listen, I understand your pain. Call Apple and ask them to send you a box and ask them to look at it for you. Don't panic, just tell them you want them to look at it for free as this is under your warranty time. Be calm.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
easy enough, thanks.

mods: feel free to just delete this thread - it's not going to be useful to anyone else.

nw43

macrumors regular
May 8, 2005
UK
calebjohnston said:
easy enough, thanks.

mods: feel free to just delete this thread - it's not going to be useful to anyone else.

Did you phone and did they agree to take it back in?

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Not yet, I'm just going to wait until I get home in early May. I'll still be under warantee then.

I'm at college now, and I need my computer daily for school work, so I decided I can't really go without it for a week or so - especially if they return it saying there's no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.